Morels - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Morels

last year I did a little reserch on wild morels (mushroom) I went out looking and found a few(I think) still not completely sure about false morel and the real deal.I have looked at alot of sites and 'Think' I know what I am looking at -buuuuutt- I am not absolutly sure.
i would like to go with somebody experinced. ( I know guys don't like to give up their honey hole. So how about If give scouts honor never to go to your 'spot' if I can give some experince.
Also When is best time in southern Pa. to go?
I am taking the dogs out anyway so I figure I can look and learn at same time!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Morels

no way

Free Biter Junior
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Mike. leave the dogs home first! you have to hunt morels SLOW. next.......hollow stem is good morels ........solid stem is not morels.....its best to be taught by someone who knows morels...where to find.....where to look....when to look....once you learn what to look for you cant help but find them...there is a big learning curve to find morels all the time. and you only have a few weeks to do it in...so my best advice is elm trees that the bark is falling off...12' radius around tree..look close. use a stick move leaves...[thats if the area is right for the growth of morels] next popular trees and cherry trees...all other locations are to hard to describe....thats where someone who knows comes into play....timing is everything...ive found them as small as a quarter....as big as a liter bottle....so the best thing you can do find someone near you who knows...go hunting with them..what you learn in one day.. will help you forever. i hunt the same spots for the last 15 years. but you need to find those spots.....before someone else does too! and on the right day. at the right time......lots of variables! .... good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've found most of my morels the 2nd and 3rd week of April. I can't wait to hit my honey holes this year.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Sage

Fr.

Where are you? Southern PA is a pretty big area, lol. Just a county would be helpful.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Sage

Fr. Mike, you might consider joing a mushroom club. They go out on many forays with experienced mycologists who show you what is what. They have meetings and also have cooking demos. The cost for a year membership is around $10.00 or $15.00, well worth the cost. Apparently you're in the southern part of the state, but don't know if East or West. The East Penn Mushroom Club is of course in the east- http://www.epennmushroomclub.org and the western club is http://www.wpamushroomclub.org . And I believe there's a guy in the central part that has also started a club- http://www.brmushrooms.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I Mushroom hunt in Washington County real close to the panhandle of West Virginia.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a question for you guys, is there a certain way to pick them? What I mean is so they will grow back the next year, If I find a good spot I don't want to ruin it by doing something wrong.

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Don't pull the root's out when you pick them and always use a mesh bag to put them in so the spours can fall out on the ground as you walk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am in So York Co.below York Pa. on Pa/ Maryland line
Thanks for all your help! I will check into the Clubs
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page