Morel's... I'll be the first. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Morel's... I'll be the first.

Ok folks. I know it's way too early to start thinking about the first finds, but I just wanted to be the first on HPA to start it off. I start thinking about those morsels as soon as the first "thaw" weather breaks the winter doldrums. I have more Turkey on my farm than you can shake a stick at. Never caught the magical Turkey Bug that so many seem to get. Those Morel's though, they consume me that first part of the spring season. While most of you hunters are after that elusive, winged, (ugly I might add) foul tasting beast, I'm after the BIGGER spring prize. . Good luck to all "in search of". and if you need any help in finding them, I'll offer any assistance I can.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 AM

Re: Morel's... I'll be the first.

What's the best area to find them? Wooded area? North side or South side of Hills? Wet or dry? A thousand questions here... I have eaten them before and love'm! I Would like to know how to find my own. Any/all info is apprieciated! Thanks!

"I refuse to tip-toe through Life only to arrive safely at Death"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Sage

I still have some "supplies" in the freezer. Need to get some of em out and onto the dinner plate.

Kaptn, I look up a hill in spring for the "green up" area. and just scour it back and forth. Sooner or later, they jump out at ya.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 AM

So what time is supper? Thanks for the info! Im sure I walked passed many without even noticing. I'll be keeping my eyes on the ground this spring.

"I refuse to tip-toe through Life only to arrive safely at Death"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Sage

Kaptn,

I think you tube has some pretty good videos on finding morels. Check it out. It'll help get ya trained on what to look for.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

This year will be the best morel year ever!!!!!!! super wet conditions = super HUGE morels! lots of them too! if you never done this........ this year will be easy!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Sage

I think there is some question as to how deep the ground froze (or didn't) because of the heavy snows in the SW.

I've never collected in a year like this.. so I have no clue. I hope its good tho!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm with you fleroo, could care less about them turkeys, but I will be in the woods every free minute of daylight, rain or shine, when the morels are up. I'm not sure how the gound freeze affects the morels, but I can tell you that it didn't freeze deep this year. Only a couple of inches. Snow acts as an insulator, and most of our cold weather came with a good snow cover. I dig almost every day with my job, and was surprised at how little the ground did freeze.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
I have more Turkey on my farm than you can shake a stick at. Never caught the magical Turkey Bug that so many seem to get. Those Morel's though, they consume me that first part of the spring season. While most of you hunters are after that elusive, winged, (ugly I might add) foul tasting beast, I'm after the BIGGER spring prize. . Good luck to all "in search of". and if you need any help in finding them, I'll offer any assistance I can.
I would hate to see those foul,ugly birds eat all the morels on your property. I will gladly offer my assistance of ridding you of these pests
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hopefully, it's a better year than it was last year for me. I found very few and most of them were very small.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page