garden plans this year - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

garden plans this year

My plan is to start some asparagus beds. I got 20 plants comeing so i'll start prepareing the beds as soon as the snow melts. I got two types of peppers started 15 poblanos and 12 red popper that looked interesting. I'll buy my 8 green pepper and 12 jalapenos.

i got 2 types of onion sets, red and yellow.

probobly do 5 pounds of red pontiac potatoes. we did 10 last year and i still got a bunch left.

got beans, beets, radish, lettece, cowpeas, zucs, and some butternut squash. plus who knows what else i'll see that looks interesting.

thought i'd keep it small this year

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 AM
The Man

Re: garden plans this year

I dont know yet. probably the same. beans, peas, taters, tomaters, cabbage, peppers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM

probably same as last year bell peppers,,,tomatoes...sweet corn taters ,,,watermelons .cantilopes zucs and neck pumpkins might try onions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM

I'm cutting back this yr...doing small patch of potatoes, 2 tomatoes a few pepper plants 2 zucs maybe some spag. squash and peas...Thats it other than the asparagus bed but thats already in and going this should be the first good year out of it as there's no plants in there less than 3 yrs old and at last count I think I have 40. Looking forward to seeing what kind of harvest I get from them... This year I'm cutting out the corn as it takes up too much room and never produced much. Heck I can just buy it at the mennonite stand at the end of my road for less than the headache it takes to try and grow it. Other items that didn't make the list this yr are watermelons, butternut squash, birdhouse gourds, beets,spinach, onions and pumpkins.... so far the garden seems manageable but then again I haven't put the hoe to the ground yet. Who knows what I'll really end up with when the time comes. It always seems to be more than I planned for I know that much.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ya i'm not doing corn this year, its easy to grow but takes up alot of room which i have plenty of room but our dog likes to chew plants so i had to fence off the garden to keep him out.

let us know how your asparagus does

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

I got a wide variety of peppers,tomatoes, pumpkin,watermelon,cantalope,corn,and cucumbers. Might throw in a couple other things,not sure yet.

Its not about what you harvest, its about the time spent afield with family and friends.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm looking to put in peas, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, and carrots. I'm also building a space saving strawberry pyramid. I cut out corn, because my parents plant so much of it and it just takes up too much room in my little 16 X 20 foot garden.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 AM

You have to plant some turnips and parsnips.
Now you want a good roast or stew make it with a combo of potatoes,carrots,turnips and parsnips.
I like parsnips just as much or better than carrots.Smell pretty much the same but you can cook them longer without them going to mush.

true pleasure is a pair of red eyes coming at you in the night
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

I'll be planting beets, carrots, lettuce, onions, garlic (planted last fall), tomatos, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, zuchini, beans, kohlarabi, radishes and cucumbers. I also reserved a section where I plan on putting in aspharagus. I quit planting corn two years ago, not worth it for me. I may put in some pumpkins for the kids.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
TEE

Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, radishes, swiss chard, asparagus,onions and carrots. I need to make a better bed for the carrots this year that has some sandy soil so that they grow straight instead of curvy when they hit small rocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page