Suckers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Suckers?

Okay guys. I have been thinking about catching a mess of suckers and canning them. When we were kids we used to ride our bikes about 3 miles down the road every day in the spring and sucker fish. It was the first thing on our minds when spring came. We always gave them to one of our neighbors because we always heard they weren't that good and my neighbors readily took them. I hear that they are good canned and lots of folks like to eat the eggs. I was wondering if any of you ever tried to can suckers, ate canned suckers, or ate the roe? What are your thoughts? Any good? What do you make out of the canned sucker? How do you cook the roe and is it good? I know I love to bust out a can of salmon and make salmon soup a few times a year. How about some recipes for canning sucker that you have found to be good? My girls and my wife have really gotten into fishing the last couple of years and last year I talked my wife into getting her liscense and they love it and I love to be out with them and get my young neices and nephews out fishing. It makes a nice family outing at a nice time of the year. Still have one more big batch of crappie to batter up and fry.It will also give me and the wife something to can and put on the shelf. My wife and I enjoy canning and freezing. Sure is nice to walk down in the basement instead of the store and it is a lot better for you than the stuff you buy and there is no comparison in the taste. I can't bring myself to eat a can of store bought corn. That is fishbait! Going to do a lot of catfishing this year also. We went last year and found that we need to get some different rods for them. We would hoss them in close to the bank and then they would just make a run and snap, that was all she wrote. We never had catfish around like that when I was a kid. The Susquehanna has really cleaned up and is getting to be a great fishery. When I was a kid the only flys that hatched were misquitos and gnats and enough of them to eat you alive, and lots of dragonflies. I was suprised to see that there were actually mayflies hatching on the river. I never thought I would see the day.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
The Man

Re: Suckers?

About the only thing I can offer you is a "recipe" that my dad used to make. We would catch a bunch, and then clean them by removing the guts, scales, and head and tail. He would then put them in the oven in a baking dish and cook till they were done. After that, he would pick all the meat with a fork till he had a bowl of boneless meat. He'd mix up some tarter sauce with the fish and make sandwiches out of it. Sort of a "sucker salad" if you will. He loved it hot or cold, but I needed to nuke mine so it was warm. Not my favorite, but we all have different tastes.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM

my grandfather ate suckers all the time. He would cook them like any other fish. They were very bony. He also ate the eggs. I tried them a couple of times when I was young. If I remember right he fried them. I don't remember how they tasted but I do know they were crunchy.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM

We ate suckers when I was a kid.IIRC,mom would cook them until the meat was falling off the bone,seperate and make cakes (similar to salmon cakes)
Here's a recipe...
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1926,...247195,00.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks checked out those recipes. One said canned sucker tastes a lot like canned tuna, another said you can use it just like you do canned salmon for salmon cakes and salmon soup. Sounds like I am gonna try it. Also read that it is good smoked.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

http://bayoubill.com/recipes/suckers.html
I have not tried this myself.

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page