How is the Garden coming?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

How is the Garden coming??

I am going to get some pics this weekend, Just wondering how everyone is making out. I was going to plant a week ago and I am glad I didn't!! we had frost one or two mornings that would have killed. I have onions, lettuce, cabbage, sweet peppers, inferno banana peppers(1 flat), tomatoes, 20 cucumber plants, zukes and garden beans to put in this weekend. Garden is already prepped with lime and fertilizer and tilled 3 times. Once just to mix in the lime and fertilizer. I also planted 2 Moonglow pear trees this past Saturday. I can't wait for them to grow up!!

Experience the Xtreme!

"your a daisy if ya do"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Sage

Re: How is the Garden coming??

Surprisingly, I noticed yesterday some of my spring onions have deveveloped seed pods. I picked them off. A bit early for that.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mines lookin pretty good. I took my chances and planted everything thing but my tomatoes a little early this year and it seems like it worked out. It seemed like it got off to a slow start, not sure if it was the cold nights or the dry spell we had. Will have radishes by the end of the week and lettuce next week. Only problem I had so far was some ofmy potato seed rotted and never came up, but I replanted them last week. Beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish, etc all look good. Put tomatoes in sunday. Decided I was sick of messing around with stakes and string and cheesy cages so I got a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh yesterday and I'm gonna make some real tomato cages this year. Well see how that goes.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Onion, Brocoli, kale, and brussell sprouts in a month ago- doing great. Built a raised strawberry bed 3 weeks ago mmm. planted the rest of the crap last evening. Just need a few more mowings to cover the whole thing with grass. Horse manure for fertilizer this year. doing it very cheaply this year all naturaal. Can't wait for the watermelons in July/August!
post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM
The Man

We did mostly container gardening this year, with some grape tomatoes in hanging baskets, a few tomatoes in pots, summer squash and zucchini in pots, various herbs, and peppers, eggplant, and beans in these planters called "city pickers" that are actually pretty cool looking. So far everything is looking pretty good, starting to get a few green tomatoes, one pepper plant starting to bloom though they're all still pretty small, and sprouts are up for everything we planted from seed.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Surprisingly, I noticed yesterday some of my spring onions have deveveloped seed pods. I picked them off. A bit early for that.
John,mine were the same way,I had 8 that had a seed head,I cut them off too.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papsattic
Mines lookin pretty good. I took my chances and planted everything thing but my tomatoes a little early this year and it seems like it worked out. It seemed like it got off to a slow start, not sure if it was the cold nights or the dry spell we had. Will have radishes by the end of the week and lettuce next week. Only problem I had so far was some ofmy potato seed rotted and never came up, but I replanted them last week. Beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish, etc all look good. Put tomatoes in sunday. Decided I was sick of messing around with stakes and string and cheesy cages so I got a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh yesterday and I'm gonna make some real tomato cages this year. Well see how that goes.
If its the heavy wire that has 6'' openings it works great.If you cut it to 6 ft lengths it makes a nice big hoop,what I did was,at the bottom cut all the horazonal peaces that gives you 6'' spikes that way you can sink it in the ground.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I don't even know if I will do one this year.

Wife's order are a lot of landscaping for the yard and I wanna do raised beds mostly for peppers. Time is a big factor cause I still wanna do other things like work on camp and what not. I have a feeling this year will be my smallest garden yet. Probobly just a few potted pepper plants.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 AM

I have started a few Trinadad Scorpion Peppers for someone...stand by as I may have a few to share. Google them they are hot!
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

WELL....... I woke up to find frost on the railings on my porch and garage roof... Ice on the windshield of the truck.. Checked the plants that were on my porch and they didn't appear to have any frost on them?? I sprayed them off with water and put them in the warm garage this morning. I figured with the temp around 40 it wouldn't frost but it did! I have really nice plants too. I am hoping I don't get home to a bunch of brown crunchy stems.......

Experience the Xtreme!

"your a daisy if ya do"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page