berry id erie pa people check in - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

berry id erie pa people check in

I was visiting my sister in the edinboro/ erie area. I forget where we wound up hiking but it was by a large earth dam that might have been national park service area. Anyways I found a bush that had maple like leaves on it as well as some hard berries that were starting to turn from green to red. My newcombs wildflower book says that it is either high bush cranberry or mooseberry however they look so similar that I can't tell them apart. I realize that that this is a crappy description but can anyone id the plant from it? I'm sorry but at the moment I don't have the ability to take pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Sage

Re: berry id erie pa people check in

What picture? If it is a mooseberry bush, whach out for a moose and a squirrel!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:34 PM

High bush cranberries have tri-lobed leaves like maples and clusters of stemmed red berries about the size of peas. Plants only get about 10 feet high. In fact the latin name for high bush cranberries is Viburnum Trilobum. They have rather large seeds inside and are quite objectionable until after the first frost, when they are just sour, about like a slightly green bog cranberry. Berries are to be picked after the frost and put in a sauce pan and just covered with water. Simmr until the berries' skin cracks open. drain the water and then run the flesh & juice through a seive, use it to make jelly like you would any juice. Frankly, sumac berries taste better. High bush canberries grow wild through western NY state and down into Northern PA. A few years ago, many local conservation districts in PA offerred them for sale as wildlife food and cover. I know first hand, I bought some. They can make a nice decorative hedge, and the berries hang on through the winter. When the birds have absolutely nothing else, they eat the dried berries. The bushes are quite attractive in late summer with the dark green leaves and bright red clusters of berries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM

I'd be curious to see a pic. You may have stumbled on a patch of Ginseng.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page