Maple syrup? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Maple syrup?

Anyone try making there own. This is something else I would love to try and make. Im going for it this year. I think when we start getting freezing nights and thawing days im going to start taping some sugar maple trees. Any info on this would also be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Maple syrup?

I did this many years ago. Am considering doing it again this year.

The only advice is to have a good heat source. Some use wood, some use propane or natural gas if you get it for free from your property. You'll want to do this outside since you'll be boiling off a lot of water and will have lots of steam.

About 40 gallons of sap will make about 1 gallon of syrup. Keep an eye on it and mix it. If you let it go when it starts to become syrup you don't want to burn it. Trial and error usually helps.

I've used large stainless steel pots before. Never really wanted to make enough to buy or rent an evaporator. I believe they cost about $5k.

You can tap a large tree 3 times. You'll get a lot of sap from one tree so be ready and prepared so you can keep up with the flow.

Check out some vids on YOU Tube if you need help.
Good Luck!
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Call your local cooperative extension office. They usually have how-to publications for backyard producers. They probably can hook you up with a contact in your state Maple Syrup Producers association. There are usually places that sell maple taps along with the other maple paraphenalia. You can use clean 5 gallon buckets to collect. Keep a cover over the bucket to keep out mice and bugs (generally don't improve the flavor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here is a link for ya - from Penn State U

http://maplesyrup.cas.psu.edu/maple_syrup.html
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys, will do
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYTR
About 40 gallons of sap will make about 1 gallon of syrup. Keep an eye on it and mix it. If you let it go when it starts to become syrup you don't want to burn it. Trial and error usually helps.
That amazed me when I first learned it. My buddy's dad up in Maine makes his own. Sent me a half gallon for Christmas. He even built his own sugar shack for boiling everything, has fold out window up top for steam, etc.

I'll see if I can get some pictures.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Regular Visitor

I have been mapling for about 5 years now. It is an addiction watch out. I have a regular sugar house with cupola and all. It sure is fun. With the unusually warm weather we had here of couple of weeks ago I tapped my trees and made about three gallons. It was way too early to tap but I have a new set-up this year and got antsy. Looking to make 40 or 50 gallons this year. PM me if you like for more info.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anyone near the Poconos interested in learning about Maple Syrup can visit the Sugar Shack sponsored by the Monroe County Conservation District. This year's public day is March 6, 2010. The 'sugarbush' is inside the Meesing Nature Center in the Delaware State Forest. Follow this link to learn more +/or to sponsor a maple tree.

http://www.mcconservation.org/downloads/...or%20e-mail.pdf

This group runs programs for school groups for several weeks each February and March and they do a good job explaining how the native americans and settlers utilized the Maple Sap and show you how to tap a tree and end w/ a few pancakes so you can sample their results. Last year they had a commercial producer there selling jugs but it is pricy. Still it is a good day, especially if you have children.

My cabin is nearby.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Here's the Pictures of my friend's dad in his sugar shack. Still waiting for outside pics. It's a neat little structure. The wood was all from a tree they had cut down. A guy came in with one of them trailer sawmills and did all the cutting. I think it cost him about 9 cents a board foot.

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Sage

Neat picks JH.

I know one thing.... nothing but pure maple syrup for the Peppy family. Can't stand the regular corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and sugar goop in a bottle.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page