Veggie Gardens - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Veggie Gardens

Anyone plant gardens? We have a good sized one every year, and I an getting anxious to put one in again this year.

The weather has been very nice and mild this winter, makes me want to start the lettuce and cabbage. Working the soil yesterday it seems the ground is still pretty cold though. I was gonna throw the manure on it today, but will have to play the weather.

hoping this year will be better than last years garden. We had very little production due to disease and drought. I never got to Can any tomatoes and only a couple jars of pickles and pickled peppers.

Lets talk gardens.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Veggie Gardens

Going to wait till May 15th to put things in the ground. Might be nice now, and it is deceiving, but we got all of March to go. I'll probably start my seeds indoors about mid March. This will be my first time ever in doing so. Made no sense in buying a pre started cabbage plant for .99 when i could buy an already grown head for .99.

Been reading about how and when to start seeds, transplant, and then to soil and which ones i can just plant as seed in the soil. We'll see how this turns out.

My tomatoes were good until August and then the blight hit them all. Got enough tomato sandwiches to be happy plus a few jars canned. Cucumber were ok, but i had the wrong plant for pickles. All my peppers, zuchinni, and brocoli did good. Eggplant never came up. Had a hard time with onions. Strawberry and asparagus were growing like crazy.

I'm putting the fence back up in April and will look at turning it over again come the beginning of May

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage

I plant a few tomatoes and squash and cuc's..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM

We planted tomatoes, peppers and watermelon. The first two did well. Drought certainly wasn't a problem.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Part of the Community

I cant wait to get my hands dirty this spring. I will be waiting til at least May 15th to transplant outside. I had problems with my tomatoes, end blossom rot, I believe it was due to inconsistent watering lengths. Typically I have had no luck with my zucchini those vine borer beetles always seem to get the best of them.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

ours did very well, 'cept for the onions. hit 'em with a little roundup by mistake, ooops. and for some reason our peppers were real late last year. froze alot of corn, man that stuffs soo good right now, compared to what you'd get from a can.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Our main garden is about 35 x 100, not including the patch where we grow squash and pumpkins. I plow it with the tractor every fall, clean out the barn and spread the straw and manure on it and let that set all winter. Then about the end of March, I run the rototiller through it, spread some sand on top wait two weeks and rototill again. The soil is so loose at some places that I can just stick my hand straight down into the soil.

We grow butternut squash which require alot of room, so we grow those at a separate place away from the regular garden. Last year, we picked about 200 butternut squash. Sold some, ate some and fed the rest to the animals.

I'll be starting some of the tomato seeds this weekend.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM

I stopped by my old farmer (89 y/o) friends place to pickup some staw last weekend. We started talking about planting this Spring. He thinks it will be a horrible year because the ground never really froze. His worry is blight and other fungus that never died off this year, not to mention the bugs!

No Place I'd Rather be, than UP a Tree
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Old PA Dutch farmers would spread rock salt on the soil every 4 or 5 years to cut back on nematodes and a few other "soil varmints" I seem to remember hearing something about 100lbs to the acre. But that practice was where the soil was already fairly "sweet" with limestone.

We also take all our egg shells and work them into the garden. The calcium is supposed to reduce blossom end rot in Tomatoes and reduce cut worms.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
The Man

If you have a problem with tomato blight try putting a 4 or 5" long piece of #6 bare copper in the ground right beside the plants, as soon as you plant them.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page