Question about onions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
TEE

Question about onions

This is my first year growing onions and wondered what is the best way to dry them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Sage

Re: Question about onions

Some folks braid the leaves together and hang them in a dry breezy place. I used to lay mine on a screen(Hardware cloth) off the ground and not touching each other.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Some folks braid the leaves together and hang them in a dry breezy place. I used to lay mine on a screen(Hardware cloth) off the ground and not touching each other.
What John is Saying but he missed adding a few things...

Don't pull the onions until the tops fall over...

Then after you pull them, take them and cut the tops off so they are about less then an inch from the top of the Bulb.....

Then just nip the roots off the bottom...

Then lay them out on a Screen so air can circulate around them and they are not Touching...

What ever you do, do not lay them out in the sun...you can scald them like a Potatoe will do in the sun....

Once dry, store in a cool Dry place and you should be able to store them if you have MANY , all thru the winter and maybe have some left over when you go to planting next spring!

What kind of Onions did you plant?

We planted 3 types of Sweet onions this spring...Red Mars, Wala wala and Candy....just started pulling them....between my buddy and I we put in over 800 of the 3 different type....we are pulling those that the tops have dropped over and letting the others in the ground until thier tops fall over....my buddy got about 50 that are Bigger then a Softball and would make a Vadalya Onion Depressed for not growing that big!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
TEE

I planted some red and white onions that I got at Ashcombes. I don't know what variety, but they were in the bins. I usually get all of my plants and seeds there. Woodywoodduck - Where did you get th different types of onions?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE
I planted some red and white onions that I got at Ashcombes. I don't know what variety, but they were in the bins. I usually get all of my plants and seeds there. Woodywoodduck - Where did you get th different types of onions?
Have a Buddy who owns a Store....My Buddy who owns the Farm that I plant on and I go together and Buy a box of 5,000 Onion Transplants.....we then take what we want to plant and the buddy with the store sells the rest....

All that is needed is to know someone who has an account with Harris Seed...a Commercial Account..and you can get just about anything you want in Bulk for a very Cheap Price!

It cost us $75.00 With Shipping for those 5,000 Onion Transplants.... many of the other places for just regular people wanted anwhere from 6-12.00 for a bundle (which is around 75 Transplants) compared to what harris does with the 3 types for x-amount to the Commercial accounts... makes it easier for them to sell and make a profit off the transplants....

I saw Home Depot and Lowes had Onion Transplants but they only had Wala Walas and Candies....seemed no one had any sweet red mars!

Did you plant "Sticking Onions"(the little Dry Bulbs) Or Transplants(the Bundled Plants that have Green tops already)?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
TEE

I planted the bulbs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE
I planted the bulbs.
Look for a place next spring that sells the Transplants....

You can get I think about 6 different types of Sweet Onions and can grow them far Bigger then those that are from Sticking Onion Bulbs!

Just watch were you buy them from.......Watch the Catalogs, they are pretty "Salty" for the Transplant Onions!

I know Home Depot and Lowes sold transplant onions this spring and also sticking onions....

The Transplants are grown the same was at the sticking bulbs but like I said, get much Bigger and are the Sweet kind...

1 thing you do not want to do with the Tranplants....pull them as spring onions...they are Not ment for that!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
TEE

I made my own screen today out of some left over wood and some mesh netting. When will I know the onions are dry to be placed in a mesh bag?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM

The skins will be a darker brown then they were when you pulled them from the ground...

Only takes a 2-3 days in some nice warm location to dry the skins....that is about all that you really want to do, dry the outer layer or 2 of skin so that it stores over winter and does not rot!

Make sure after they are dry and before you place them in a bag to store them, you feel each onion for mushiness or mushy spots in them....if you find any with those spots, do not place them in the bag!! set them aside and use them first....chances are either you had an onion maggot get into the onion while growing or Bruised the onion while working with it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

TEE
there is a greenhouse outside of Newville right on 641 that sells transplants. I don't know what kind except the candies. I bought them for the first time this year. I think I paid .06 a piece.

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page