Jelly - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Jelly

So far this year, I canned 7 pints and 12 1/2 pints of red raspberry.

7 1/2 pints of black raspberry

24 1/2 pints of plum (from my tree)

and am making mulberry this morning. Should get (7) 1/2 pints

Anyone else make jelly?

I give them as Christmas gifts to friends and family each year. Still have peach and blackberry to go!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Jelly

sorry Gal...i can't seem to find the "submit" button where I put my address to be added to your Christmas list?

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Well gal, summer on a farm leaves little time for prcessing jelly when there farming to do, and canning veggies. We freeze the barries and wait until some really cold rainy day in late autumn or winter, and then make jelly. In fact, on New Years day of 2008, we made about a dozen pints of blueberry jam. We don't eat enough jelly to be worthwhile making much. I found some Lime marmalade in the bottom of the pantry that I made in 2006. (I bought 80 lbs of limes for $4 at the produce auction) Last night, I caught my wife and daughter eating some of the rasberries we froze.

In fact, last night at the produce auction, Mrs. bought a flat of peaches for $5.00. really good ones. And a bushel of apples, three heads of cabbage, a case of carrots, and I don't remember what else.

We dry some of the stone fruit in a dehydrator for winter consumption. Cherries, plums, peaches etc.

I got 20 pounds of fresh ginger root at the auction for 25 cents. yep 1.2 cents a pound, Maybe add some zing to the jelly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Well,

If I get reminded, I may donate some to the HPA bash in September!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalThatFishes
Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!
Famersville, Lancaster County. My sister used to live very close by. She got tremendous buys, like 10 cents apiece for cantaloupes.

Everybody head out there and bid up the prices! I hate to see the farmers get such low amounts for their work.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Sage

They have great bacon at the Amish store in Farmersville. I could eat pounds of that stuff!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey Gal, there is another auction between kittanning and new Beth...i need to look at a map and see if I can find it. My MIL and her beau go there every thursday...

Just called her...it's in Dayton, off of 28 towards and eventually through Belknap and technically it's a livestock auction, but they have TONS of produce and other edibles. Last week they got like 10 lbs of lebanon bologna for 5 bucks...which they froze and I'll undoubtedly get some for xmas

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Much closer to home! Appreciate that!

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Still a month away up where I'm at, but you guys oughta be gettin' close to elderberry pickin' time.

MAGA 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page