Apple Cider PROBLEM - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Apple Cider PROBLEM

I got 5 gallons of Apple Cider from Strites Orchard last Friday...They were supposed to give me UNPasterized Cider!

I'm starting to think that someone messed up and put 5 gallons of PASTERIZED Cider in the 6 gallon primary fermentor!

I mixed the Acid Blend, Yeast Nutrient, pectin and let it sit till Saturday afternoon...then sprinkled5 grams of wine yeast on top of the cider and left it sit till Sunday after noon...the yeast basically congealed and sank to the bottom of the cider!
I went yesterday and got 2 more packets of wine yeast from scotzins...sprinkled another 5 grams of wine yeast on top of the cider...left it uncovered till last evening, All of that yeast sank just like the first packet...I used the third packet to start in a water bottle with some of the cider and water mix...that yeast took off, I kept adding more cider to it, this morning the yeast is Dead in the Bottle!

Anyone know if there is a way to figure out if the cider was Pasteurized?

If it is, I'm going to have a nice talk with Strites about them giving me 5 gallons of Pasteurized Cider when I ASKED for Unpasteurized Cider to ferment!

I Feel if they did indeed give me pasteurized cider, they should give me another 5 gallons that is Unpasteurized and at least refund part of my money seeing I bought 10 pounds of sugar that needed added and added to that cider to get it to ferment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Apple Cider PROBLEM

no idea how to tell but heres a suggestion and a recipe. take 5 gallons of cider and warm it up on the stove and add 5 lbs of honey and mix real good and cool it. meanwhile, have a starter made from liquid cyser yeast going and then pitch it. ferment, rack, etc til clear and done then bottle. it comes out tasting like asti spumanti but better. using the unpastuerized is asking for problems from the wild yeast.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Sounds like the problem to me. Did you call Strites? I've never tried cider before, but it sounds as though you did everything right. If they cold pasteurized it, it should have been ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Uh oh. I just got the call 20 minutes ago that my cider is ready. I wrote on my bucket unpasturized so hopefully I don't end up with the same problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
no idea how to tell but heres a suggestion and a recipe. take 5 gallons of cider and warm it up on the stove and add 5 lbs of honey and mix real good and cool it. meanwhile, have a starter made from liquid cyser yeast going and then pitch it. ferment, rack, etc til clear and done then bottle. it comes out tasting like asti spumanti but better. using the unpastuerized is asking for problems from the wild yeast.
So, your going to Tell us to use PASTEURIZED Cider?

If so, It Will NOT Ferment, they do not heat it up to kill off the natural yeasts to pasteurize it, they Add a Sodium Product to it that kills off the Natural Yeasts and will make it that Cultured Yeasts for Wine making Will NOT Activate and Ferment!

You have to have UNpasteurized Cider to get it to Ferment!

You use Campden Tablets to Kill off the Natural Occurring Bacteria Yeasts Before Adding the Cultivated Yeasts and you Wait 24-48 hours after Adding the Campden Tablets Before adding the Cultured Wine Yeasts!

Cider is NOT Pasteurized like Milk is Pasteurized!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinit
Uh oh. I just got the call 20 minutes ago that my cider is ready. I wrote on my bucket unpasturized so hopefully I don't end up with the same problem.
Question them when you go in on if they are Giving you Unpasteurized or Pasteurized Cider!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound1
Sounds like the problem to me. Did you call Strites? I've never tried cider before, but it sounds as though you did everything right. If they cold pasteurized it, it should have been ok.
Did not call them, I'm planning on running over there after work tomorrow and talking to them about it!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Ship,

Did you get your's started?

I called Strites and they told me that they did not add anything to mine and they would give me another 5 gallons if I could not get mine fermenting...

I ended up adding 1 cup of Yeast Nutrient to it Thursday Morning and sitting the bucket on a heating pad...it finally took off this morning around 6 am and is bubbling away REAL FAST and Steady!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just picked it up this morning and plan to mix it tonight and add the yeast tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinit
I just picked it up this morning and plan to mix it tonight and add the yeast tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out.
Hopefully you read this before pitching your yeast...

you might want to add extra Yeast Nutrient and then make a starter of the yeast and a little water and slowly add cider till you have 1 gallon of a starter and make sure the cider in the primary is nice and warm, around 80-90 degrees when you add that 1 gallon of starter into the primary!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page