Bee swarm call today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bigbrownie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Bee swarm call today

I had a call today about a honey bee swarm. It’s late in the season for swarms, although I have caught and overwintered swarms caught in late September. I had two calls last week, both turned out to be yellow jackets.

This swarm was only a few miles from the house, so I was going to swing by for a look on the way home from camp. The home owners were at work, but gave the wife good directions on where they were hanging. As I pulled in, I could see them from the driveway. My first reaction was, wow, that’s a big swarm. I don’t think I could fit them in a five gallon bucket. On closer inspection, things became clear. What I saw I’d only seen one other time in over 45 years of keeping bees.

A swarm had landed on a branch of the tree ( probably a month ago, maybe longer ). They failed to find a hollow tree, an attic, anything that would protect them from the elements. So they began to draw comb there on the branch of the tree. It looked like they built 5 combs each about a foot square. Bees were coming and going, probably working nearby Japanese knotweed for pollen and nectar.

They were too high to reach without a bucket truck, and coupled with the lateness of the season, I opted to leave them be. They posed no danger to the homeowners. They won’t survive winter, probably be dead before Thanksgiving. Had they been more accessable and a little earlier in the season, I might have cut them down and attached their comb on empty frames and tried to hive them. But trying to remove that much drawn comb would cause a lot of commotion, and what bees I would leave behind would have been very defensive and be a stinging hazard for the property owner.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 08-27-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
That's interesting BB. I found some honey bees working out of a hollow in a beech tree next to my barn. Was glad to see them. Seems I only ever find hornets and yellow jackets.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM
Part of the Community

Thatís a rarity. Iíve seen 2 in the last 35 years. The 1st was in the mid 80ís and the other around 10 years ago. Too bad you couldnít reach them. I did have a small swarm move into a stack of empty hive bodies last week.

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Never heard of that before. Too bad you could not help. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I have seen this before. I was lucky enough to be able to reach them and have access to electricity so I used my homemade bee vac to collect the bees. Then cut the comb and attached to frames. It's a lot of work, especially this late in the year, but at least it gives them a chance. Too bad you couldn't reach them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Looks like my hummingbird feeders.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

interesting and informative discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page