where could i learn? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

where could i learn?

well i have never really been able to become familure with the local mushrooms and everytime im out and see some wild ones growing i always wonder what exactally they are my only problem is i never had a person able to teach me something like that..so how did yall learn?

GOD GUNS AND GUTS..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Re: where could i learn?

Z, there is a class at Yellow Creek at times that shows you how to identify them and there is also a Chef from Indiana that goes out and picks the edible one. Not sure when they will be scheduling the class for next year but I remember seeing it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Sage

Since you're located in western PA., I suggest you join the the Western PA. Mushroom Club-www.wpamushroomclub.org. Thay have meetings, classes and go out in numerous forays with experienced mycologists where they teach you what is edible and what is not. After some of the forays they than teach you how to cook the shrooms and everyone gets a taste. The cost is around $10.00 or $15.00 and worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Since you're located in western PA., I suggest you join the the Western PA. Mushroom Club-www.wpamushroomclub.org. Thay have meetings, classes and go out in numerous forays with experienced mycologists where they teach you what is edible and what is not. After some of the forays they than teach you how to cook the shrooms and everyone gets a taste. The cost is around $10.00 or $15.00 and worth it.
That sounds like the way to go. In my case mushroom picking was passed down from generation to generation.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
The Man

Quote:

I belong to the Eastern shroomer but Gee I too would not mind being in the Western Club...They do a great job out there training and they have a lot events open to the general public...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuntman
Quote:
That sounds like the way to go. In my case mushroom picking was passed down from generation to generation.
ya me too. i used to hunt them with my dad in the mid 60's when i was knee high. we used to pick several varietys, but the only ones i remember enough to still pick today are morels and oysters. we used to pick ones called
Papinki's or Stumpies and others that grew in cow pastures and looked just like the store bought ones. i think i found a patch of Papinki's last fall but was afraid to try them. better safe than sorry.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage

The ones you picked in the cow pastures were the meadow mushroom, aka pinkys. They're pure white and have pink gills that eventually turn dark brown. Superior to those in the supermarkets. One time a friend and I picked over 2 bushel baskets full of them! The stumpies, honey fungus can be found in massive colonies sometimes. They have a small white collar or ring/veil under the cap. But you got be careful because there are others that resemble them growing on the same stump that are poisonious. I canned many pints of the stumpies over the years. Unfortunately not so with the pinkys. We stayed up half the night and canned 32 quarts of them. The other guy's brother came to visit the next day and we showed him our proud bounty. He laughing said "you can't eat those, they'll smell just like cow manure. Don't your remmber when our mom tried canning them years ago?" We opened up a jar and they smelled just like strong manure!!! We were really disappointed, but also glad we found out before giving them to friends! Another easy mushroom to identify is the Chicken mushroom in the fall, they're a shelf mushroom that is bright orange and good eating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page