Wine - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Wine

What's everybody making this year? I have three gallons of grape and gallons of blackberry, peach, pear and pumpkin. This is my first attempt at pear and pumpkin. Already racked the blackberry and peach once and they others will probably be racked for the first time the end of this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Re: Wine

I would like to make some grape wine this but i dont know how. Any advice would be appreciated.

4B
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM

5 gallons Black Raspberry/Wine Berry/ Black Berry Mix, 5 gallons peach and 1 gallon of Tomato for now...

If I can get back to the place I seen the 30 pounds of fox grapes last weekend and pick this coming Saturday it will be 3 gallons of Fox Grape and then 5 gallons of Hard Cider when I get 5 gallons of Cider from Strites Orchard!

I've made pumpkin before and if there would have been extra pumpkins this year, I would have made 2 gallons of it...did you add any Pumpkin Pie Spices to your pumpkin when you first started fermenting it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231
I would like to make some grape wine this but i dont know how. Any advice would be appreciated.
pchunter, I take it from your 4B listing and your screen name, your in Perry County...

Take a trip down to Lemoyne to Scotzin Brothers http://www.scotzinbros.com/
They will help you get started, they have starter kits for the Beginners and their own Recipe Book (Their Recipe book is good but they use alot of water in their recipes, which can be deleted if you increase the amount of fruits) and also have days where they do work shops to show how to make wine and beer!

Take a trip down there, grab yourself a starter kit and question them, See the old guy Tom that works in there, he is the Wine Expert for the Store and will have your Head Spinning on all he has to offer to help you get started!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Anyone wanting Apple Cider with no pasterization chemicals added to it to make Hard Cider, Strites Orchard is pressing atleast once a week right now, I just got off the phone with them...get your buckets into them so they can fill them right at pressing time before the add that sodium stuff to perserve it!

I'll be running a 6 gallon ale pail down this evening for them to fill up this week when they press!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks Woody, Yes I am from Perry County, I have all the stuff to make wine I just need a recipe to try. I just picked around 30lbs of fox grapes over the weekend. They are everywhere this year.

4B
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231
Thanks Woody, Yes I am from Perry County, I have all the stuff to make wine I just need a recipe to try. I just picked around 30lbs of fox grapes over the weekend. They are everywhere this year.
This is Scotzin's recipe to make 2 gallons of Fox Grape Wine...

20 lbs fox grapes
1 gallon water
4 lb sugar
2 campden tablets
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzymes
2 grams wine yeast.

I basically use the 20 pounds and make 2 gallons out of that with just bit of water added to the grapes when I boil them off to juice them to keep them from burning to the bottom of the pot, maybe about 2-4 cups of water and come out with about 2 gallons out of 20 pounds of fox grapes....you can do it either way!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks I will give it a try

4B
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have my 6 gal of Concord Wine going right now, plan on racking it this week sometime.......
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM
New Arrival

Have 30 gal of tomato going and just started 20 gal of blueberry/ peach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page