crab apples - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

crab apples

is there anything one can do with them? can i cider them? maybe a sauce? anything? feed them to the deer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Re: crab apples

Crabapples are great for Jelly. You can also make crabapple butter also.

4B
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

how much should i pick then? a 5 gal bucket? more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM

That should be plenty

4B
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

could you PM me recipes? thanks!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM

I love crabapple jelly,but its hard to find.My grandmother made the best jelly.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

recipe please people!?!?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 AM

I looked in my 1 wine recipe book and there is a recipe for crab apple wine...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i would take that recipe too....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:32 PM

1 gallon of crab Apple Wine
12 lbs crab apples
half gallon water
3 lbs sugar
1 campden tablet
1 tsp pectic Enzymes
1 tsp yeast nutrient
16 oz honey
1 gram wine yeast ( I use Lalvin's 71B-1122 yeast for things like this, other then Grape Wines)

Cut up the crab apples, do not use the stems and seeds, toss them...After you have the crab apples cut up into cubes, put them in a Nylon Bag and tie it shut and put that into a primary fermentation bucket and use your fist and Crush up the cubed crab apples....Add the water, Sugar, campden tablet(Crush that up into a powder and add) pectic enzymes, honey and yeast nutrient (do NOT Add the yeast yet)
Mix that all up and let sit with a cloth or plastic covering on the top of the bucket for 24 hours...after 24 hours sprinkle the wine yeast ontop of the Must and let it disolve (do NOT Stir it in) let the yeast lay ontop of the Must for 24 hours...after 24 hours Stir the disolved yeast into the Must, stir each day for 7 days (Make Sure your Stiring Spoon is Sterilized before using it in the Must each day!!)
After 7 days, take the nylon bag and either with clean rubber gloves on or with freshly washed hands, Squeeze the nylon bag with the crushed up crab apples in it, keep doing that till you can not squeeze any more juice out of them...when I do this, I squeeze the bag then spin it to tighten the bag up and squeeze some more and twist again and keep doing that, makes the contents smaller and smaller until you basically down to just pulp with no juice...after you have that all squeezed real good, transfer the must into secondary 1 gallon fermentation vessel...put an air lock on it and let it sit for 1 month, after 1` month siphon off the wine and discard the sediment on the bottom...take a sip and if you feel it is ok to your liking, put the wine back into a clean 1 gallon vessel and reattach the air lock and let sit for another month so the sediment settles....after second month, do the same, siphon off the wine from the sediment and sample it... if you need to do so, you can make a boiled 1 to 1 syrup to sweeten... 1 cup water to 1 cut sugar (Boiled to disolve the sugar and sterilize the water and sugar of anything that could kill your wine) and add to the wine, reattach air lock and let sit for another month and siphon and sample...if you sweeten the third month and want bottle, you will need to add a Stabilizer to kill off the yeast so that it does not start fermenting again and but the bottles or blow the corks out if you cork...

3 steps to remember if your going to make wine..

1-Sterilize All Equipment used
2-Sterilize All Equipment used
3-Sterilize All Equipment used

If you keep Everything Sterilized Real good, you will come out with Good Wine and Not have a flop....Sterilization of all equipment is number 1 MUST after the must has been started with the yeast after sterilizing the fruit and primary fermentation vessel with the Campden Tablet!

Some try to make it out that wine is so hard to make, It Is Not, it is easy, you just have to keep things Clean and Sterilized when working with it or you can contaminate it and cause it to flop and not be worth drinking...Wine is "Forgiving" from the High Alcohol Content it has BUT Be "Dirty" in your processsing and get the Wrong Bacteria in the wine while it is working for the 3 months and your going to come out with nothing worth drinking and wasted time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page