Starting ginseng from seed. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strut10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Starting ginseng from seed.

I managed to get three plants to grow from seed, in pots in my basement. I let them get light through a glass block window. The problem is that two of the three have leaves that have started to get brown. There is no apparent insect at work. anyone have any suggestions about growing the plant from seed and how I can avoid this?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
I managed to get three plants to grow from seed, in pots in my basement. I let them get light through a glass block window. The problem is that two of the three have leaves that have started to get brown. There is no apparent insect at work. anyone have any suggestions about growing the plant from seed and how I can avoid this?
First thing I'd try is get them out of the basement, out of the pots, and plant them in the richest soil you have in a well shaded area.
Born2Hunt likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

I was contemplating that very thing. There is a stand of young poplars nearby and I've heard that the plant likes to grow near poplars. I planted seed there directly in the fall (as well as a few other places) but I haven't been back to see how the plants are making out or if they sprouted at all. One of the plants I grew in the pots is doing well, although it's growth has "plateaued" . Maybe if I get it outside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:36 PM
The Man

If you planted seed harvested last fall, last fall, you won't likely find anything growing where you planted it.....until NEXT spring. Ginseng seed has to go through a stratification cycle of freeze and thaw before it sprouts.

Commercially grown and stratified seed will run 60-80% germination rate on average, I'd say. Germination rates of planted fresh seed would not be as high.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Get them planted in some rich shaded soil and let them go... make sure you mark the area fairly well for yourself
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
If you planted seed harvested last fall, last fall, you won't likely find anything growing where you planted it.....until NEXT spring. Ginseng seed has to go through a stratification cycle of freeze and thaw before it sprouts.

Commercially grown and stratified seed will run 60-80% germination rate on average, I'd say. Germination rates of planted fresh seed would not be as high.
I got stratified seed.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C R O W View Post
Get them planted in some rich shaded soil and let them go... make sure you mark the area fairly well for yourself
I planted them outside. I know where they are, but I doubt they will make it. Only one plant looked healthy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page