2018 Gardens - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

2018 Gardens

Finally, Onions going crazy, sugar peas growing up fencing, potatoes all coming up. Started planting some seeds. Even put some Early Girls in yesterday. All kinds of herbs outside in pots. 3 lemons left on our potted Meyer lemon tree, and its loaded with flowers for this year. Bees are working on it. Didn't think it was ever gonna warm up and stay warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I haven't even planted most of my garden yet. That is the project for today and tomorrow. It was cold for so long that I didn't want to take the risk. I planted 77 tomato plants the other day. Now for peppers, herbs and seeds. I started all of my plants from seed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 PM

My potatoes are all up. Onions doing good, beets and carrots out of the ground. I have 2 lbs sweet corn seed and 2 lbs beans to plant next week. Tomatoes and pepper plants at the end of the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Season starts much earlier down south. My wife did all of the planting in Feb-Mar. Since we spend most of May and June in PA, the neighbors usually get to enjoy the first results. Last week my wife got a call from the neighbor checking on things. The deer, or as I call them the white tailed swamp rats jumped the fence and mowed everything down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Last week my wife got a call from the neighbor checking on things. The deer, or as I call them the white tailed swamp rats jumped the fence and mowed everything down.

So in other words. The neighbors picked and ate all your produce, and blamed it on the deer. LOL.
bigguy54 and BigJob like this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Started picking Early Girls this week. Tomato plants are 6' high. I added 2' to my cages this year, and their at the top already. Sugar peas had to be picked every 2 days, their finally finishing, so I can rip them out and plant something else. Peppers, zukes, beans, beets, all popping now. Early red taters are about ready to dig.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

canned 27 qts of beets, 24 qts of green beans last week. Made three gallons of refrigerated pickles so far and
getting enough pickling cukes a day to make 1/2 gallon each. have had onions for a good while now. the hot
banana peppers are starting to come but they're not hot at all. thinking of planting a cayenne pepper plant near
them. cabbage is looking good and the zucchini are coming now. Lots of green tomatoes. the garden is doing
real well. I've had to water it a few times in the past two weeks. after we did the beets we put another row in.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 AM

This has been an extremely wet garden season. I dug 7 bushels of white potatoes earlier in the week, between all the rain showers.i had about 15-20% rot. It would have been worse had I not got them out when I did. I normally let the stalks die off and brown up, but couldnít wait this season.

The tomato plants have tomatoes ripening now but arenít setting any more blossoms. The roots are waterlogged badly, except those planted in raised beds.

Beets, onions, beans, carrots did well.

My squash plants got vine borers this season and many plants looked great, blossomed and then preceded to die off.

Definitely a challenging year for me. Oddly, my bee hives have done well, in spite of the rain. Gonna take honey off this coming week, treat for mites, extract, and super back up for the fall flow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage

My tomato plants are over 5 feet high and loaded with nice big tomatoes, however it is taking forever for them to get ripe.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Wife and I made 24 stuff green peppers today, I made 14 pints of hot mustard with the banana peppers, beans are in the freezer, carrots look good ,tomato going to be a couple more weeks before we start picking for juice, cukes and squash did terrible .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page