garden - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

garden

Got plants coming up inside.Got to love bay windows for that.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage

Sadly, I will ot have a garden for the next two years, two years ago my soil got contaminated with the tobacco virus, it affects tomatoes and peppers both hot and sweet and egg plants. The first year I knew I had a problem because my plants just didn't look right and did not produce they way they should have and the fruit was misshapen.. Last year tomatoes peppers and hot peppers and egg plants were a total bust The extension agent told me to cover the garden with black plastic and let it sit for two years to try to get rid of the virus. I will buy some big pots and plant some peppers and tomatoes and hot peppers and grow them in pots. Fortunately the virus doesn't affect my perennial herbs so they are ok. I must have brought the virus home on some of the sets I bought, problem is, I bought from two places so I can;t even complain because I don't know who the culprit is.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Its in the dirt.I made a raised bed.Put down good garden fabric not the cheap crap.Make a box as big as you need and fill with topsoil and compost.My garden did better last year than ever.Peppers and tomato plants were the biggest we ever had.I had 2 1/2- 3 foot high pepper plants and 4-5 foot high tomato plants.It blew my mind.I bought a $20 irrigation system and a Walmart $15 timer.We couldn't control the Zucchini either.We actually killed them they did so well.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't plant a garden, but I do plant a dozen tomato plants along the back of one of my sheds. I settled on the celebrity variety years ago and that's what I always plant. They are a little watery for freezing, but are delicious fresh. Every fall I throw a few buckets of wood ash on the tomato patch and spade it in. About the week before Memorial day I put the plants in with a chub or sucker in each hole (just like my grandfather always did). Throw some 5-10-5 on every now and then , and water and wait.

Last year my flats had several plants that as they grew I could tell were not Celebrity tomatoes. The plants only got about half the height of the Celebrity plants (2' vs 4'+). They did fruit heavy with large flavorful tomatoes that were meatier than the Celebrity. I wish I had a way of knowing what tomato that was. I would be inclined to put a few of those in my tomato patch this year.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM

I started 3 varieties of peppers today. I have a 2x4x6 foot shelving unit with grow lights above all 4 shelves set up in the basement. Peppers are the slowest growing plants.....if you want them ready for May 20th, you start them after Valentines Day.

I have a hotbed outside also. It is an old Coke cooler with heater wires in the soil set at 70 degree F. Window glass on top. I plant it April 1st.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Peppers are annoying. Just when you think about re-planting they start to pop. I started 4 kinds this year, and 2 kinds tomatoes. The wife has a wheeled herb cart by the one bay window in the daytime. I started new parsley for her last month to add to basil, rosemary, and thyme. I have sweet Spanish onions growing, and Early girls started coming up.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Peppers are finicky. Particularly the hotter varieties. Germination can be hit or miss. I put the seeds on a wet paper towel, cover with another damp paper towel. Put them in a zip lock bag, donít zip totally shut. Leave it in a warm place (on top of fridge is good ).After 10 days or so, check for a tiny root spouting from the seed. Pick up sprouts with tweezers and gently transplant into soil.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 PM
The Man

Tilled the garden on monday before the snow hit.Dirt was perfect so in went the sugar peas,carrots,leaf lettuce,and spinach.Last year we got 14" of snow after I planted.Here we go again!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:39 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I plant a couple gardens. I got one spaded up, just needs a good raking. Started turning the other garden over but didn't get it finished before the snow came again. Still have a little snow on it now. Was going through seed catalogs this morning.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 PM

that 's global warming for you ,it was back in the 1980's we were heading into another ice age , the so called experts can't make up their minds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page