Anyone have a Pickle recipe? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone have a Pickle recipe?

I am currently getting tons of cucumbers! I was thinking af fermenting some cukes into pickles.... anyone have any suggestions?

I was going to do use this recipe, but if anyone has a tried and true recipe that you use all the time, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

Raise, Aim and Fire. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/uzi.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Anyone have a Pickle recipe?

Refrigerator pickles

1 Quart Jar
2 Tablespoon plain canning salt
1 teaspoon Old Bay
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon minced garlic

put into jar ....add pickles

fill jar half full with white vinegar

fill remainder with boiling water.

let cool...then refrigerate
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Blindtiger beat me to this post......I was looking for a good (great) galic pickle recipe!!!!!
Let's go you HPA canners.....let's hear them......

Bradford County WMU3C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage

Go to the game recipe form and see my post under canning hot peppers. For pickles you can add extra garlic if you want and a sliced jalapeno pepper for alittle zip.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM

We just buy the bags of dill pickle mix from the local agway and follow the recipe, adding extra garlic and dill. My fiance's father told me it tastes just as good, if not identical, to the pickles he made for years and years by making his own brine.

OHWM
Shoot Safe, Shoot Often
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys!

I didn't have any Old Bay, and both recipes seemed pretty similar so I decided to go with Bearclaw's recipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
My buddy used to bring pickled Hungarian wax peppers stuffed with sauerkrat to camp and all of them were gobbled down with gusto. The peppers were firm and not mushy. He finally showed me how to do them after much coaxing and a threat to ban him from camp. Take the peppers when they're ripe, green is good, the red and orange ones better. Wash them, cut off the tops and small tip of the bottom; this way the brine gets in real good. Scoop out all the seeds using a teaspoon. Stuff them with any store bought sauerkrat, I used Silver Floss. In a large pot make a brine of 50% water and 50% white vinegar. Bring to a calm rolling boil and maintain that. After steriling the quart jar,Put in 1 sliced clove of garlic (you can use more if you like),1/2 tsp. of dillseed, 1/2 tsp. of mustard seed and 1 Tabsp. of salt. Arrange peppers in jars vertically packing them firmly. Pour in boiling brine leaving headspace at top of jar. Put on sterilized lid and hand tighten the ring down, just so it's snug. Put in draft free area, I cover them with a towel and do not touch for 24 hours. After awhile you should hear the lids popping confirming the seal is good. Let em set for a couple of weeks. You can use this same receipe for pickles or cauliflower, just add 1 or 2 sliced jalapeno peppers with seeds attached for some zip. If the garlic turns greenish looking it's okay, I think the salt does that. Also after they're sealed you can shake them up alittle to get the spices more dispersed.
I didn't have much white vinegar so I had to use a little apple cider vinegar. I read somewhere you could use that instead, so hopefully it doesn't turn out bad. I also added a few shakes of crushed red pepper to each jar.

I ended up with three jars of pickles... hopefully they turn out ok! Either way, there was no way I could eat all those cucumbers so it was worth a shot!

Thanks again! I'll reply back in a couple weeks to let you know how they turned out!

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I just opened up one of the three jars I made and these are great! I got a few that were too soft, but I attribute that to them being too ripe when I pickled them. I thought there would be a few of those though, so no big deal!

Thanks again for the great recipe!

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page