Any one like chaga tea? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Any one like chaga tea?

Any body else harvest chaga for tea? My wife and I both have a cup every evening. We both think it does us some good, and it has a tasty earthy flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM

I never even heard of it. What is it?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I never even heard of it. What is it?
Its a mushroom. It grows on birch trees, and cherry trees but that's rare. Its black and rough surface on the outside, light brown and a little softer on the inside. I find it mostly on birch trees growing along streams, or even wet weather drainage. You dry it for a few weeks, I just put mine in paper bags to keep dust off and put it in a dry place. Then to make tea just scrape it with a knife till you have about a teabags worth per cup, boil it on a low setting so it takes a while to boil. Do that in the morning, then in the evening bring to a boil again before you have a cup. If you make several cups worth you can let it set two or three days and just boil it up each night. It reportedly has very good nutrition and is used to help people with illness that cant eat much. In some country's it is used to treat disease. I have no idea if it really has medicinal value. I drink it because its nutritious and it taste good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've only had it a couple times. I have some chaga that was given to me years ago, but I am going to harvest some this year. Its growing right behind my house.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 PM

I pulled up some images on Google. I donít know if Iíve seen it before...probably have but didnít pay attention. Iíll have it on my radar screen now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I pulled up some images on Google. I donít know if Iíve seen it before...probably have but didnít pay attention. Iíll have it on my radar screen now.
You will find it if you look for it. Off hand Id guess maybe 1 in 75 birch trees will have chaga growing on it. And half of them will be low enough to reach. If you do harvest some, don't take it all from the tree. Then it will grow back. Just like ginseng. I've harvested chaga from the same trees many times.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM
The Man

Does anyone know if this stuff causes kidney stones?? I used to be a HUGE iced tea and hot tea drinker. I have gotten kidney stones a couple times in my life but always passed them. In 2016 I had severe problems with multiple large stones and had to have several surgeries and months of agony before I got rid of the problem. My doctor advised me to knock off tea altogether as it was the bulk of my stone problems. I've been looking for a replacement beverage ever since and can't find one that satisfies me. I love iced tea but am not willing to undergo again what I went through in 2016.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Sage

Kudu, try wild mint tea. That is my go to in the summer for iced tea. It is also good hot with honey in it. I have a nice patch growing at my place.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Does anyone know if this stuff causes kidney stones?? I used to be a HUGE iced tea and hot tea drinker. I have gotten kidney stones a couple times in my life but always passed them. In 2016 I had severe problems with multiple large stones and had to have several surgeries and months of agony before I got rid of the problem. My doctor advised me to knock off tea altogether as it was the bulk of my stone problems. I've been looking for a replacement beverage ever since and can't find one that satisfies me. I love iced tea but am not willing to undergo again what I went through in 2016.
Im certainly not qualified to give advice about what may cause kidney stones, but I can say that real green or black tea is just that, tea. While you make what is referred to as a "tea" with chaga or as Woods Walker suggested, wild mint,,,it is a brew,,not made from the tea your doctor warned you about.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 PM

My Grandmother made tea for us using bee balm. It has a sweet minty taste. Native Americans utilized it also for various medicinal purposes. I keep a big patch of it at my camp. My honeybees love it, and the hummingbirds seem to prefer it over using a store bought feeder.

Woods Walker, Iíll have to try using wild mint next summer. I cultivate a patch of it also.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page