Broccoli and Cauliflower problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Broccoli and Cauliflower problems

Anyone else every have a problem with Broccoli and Cauliflower Not forming heads?

Father-in-law and I planted 6 Broccoli and 6 Cauliflower plants back at the end of April....I got the Broccoli Plants from my Buddy, he planted his a week AFTER I planted mine and he has been cutting heads and spears of Broccoli for the past 5 weeks..I bought the Cauliflower Plants from Stauffers of Kissel Hill in Linglestown, I have not gotten a head form on my Broccoli or Cauliflower!

We planted the Cauliflower at the same time as the Broccoli, we planted 6 Cauliflower plants then 6 Cabbage Plants then 6 Broccoli Plants in the same row with good spacing between each plant...My Buddy does the Same thing on his Farm, takes a row and starts with Broccoli then cabbage then Brussel Sprouts and lettuce mixed in between them....he doesn't like cauliflower so he never grows any to sell nor plant in his garden..

The Cabbage has been forming nice heads for the past 3 weeks, it is about ready to be cut and make in the Kraut...We pulled the Broccoli and Cauliflower on Saturday...they just kept growing taller and taller and showed not a sign at all of forming heads!

I talked to my Buddy about this, he says he never heard of that happening and can not figure out WHY his plants that came from the Exact Seeds that my Plants came from of the Broccoli were forming heads then spears and mine just keep growing taller and taller and forming no heads at all...

Anyone ever have this problem? We are going to start some more broccoli and cauliflower either this weekend or next weekend to have to plant in August for a fall crop...hoping they will grow heads and not just do what the other plants did of just growing taller and taller!

Frustrating, I love fresh cut broccoli and cauliflower from the garden, was looking forward to some and the plants didn't do what they were supposed to do!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Sage

Re: Broccoli and Cauliflower problems

Extremely hot weather can cause broccoli and cauliflower to bolt, sounds like what happened.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Is your garden higher in nitrogen than your friends? Like all tops and no yield?
I have better luck using epsom salts on most everything in the garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM

It could be your ph it has to be around 6.0 to 7.0 and you have to water a lot.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep site
It could be your ph it has to be around 6.0 to 7.0 and you have to water a lot.

Our Neighbor takes care of that for us with his swimming pool water...

Why would it only affect the Broccoli and Cauliflower and all other plants are growing just fine...

As for the nitrogen comment above, Do tree leaves have alot of Nitrogen in them? we have not put down any fertilizer or manure on the yard garden in 10 years, but have been using the leaves that fall in the yard, each fall and lay them down and let them rot all winter long then till them in, in the spring...

Also, we bag the grass when we cut it and put it on a pile and let it get black then when it is all black, we put that on the garden and till it in and also use it during the summer to mulch to keep the weeds at bay!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM

I looked up what may be your problem in my gardening book.

Broccoli, brussel sprouts,cauliflower are prone to one big problem of their own: "clubroot".
It is a fungal disease and arrrives by way of infected transplants and causes the roots to become gnarled,misshapen, and unable to take up enough water. Above ground afflicted plants look stunted and yellowish, and they wilt easlily.There is no cure for clubroot, but you will find some good preventive medicine in your supermarket produce isle. namely, rhubarb. Bury stalks of it in the planting beds and your cole crops should stay free of the the fungus. (But be on the safe side and grow your brassica crops in a different spot every year, and if clubroot is commonn in your area don't buy seed or transplants that were locally grown."

Hope this helps your problem
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqrlhntr
I looked up what may be your problem in my gardening book.

Broccoli, brussel sprouts,cauliflower are prone to one big problem of their own: "clubroot".
It is a fungal disease and arrrives by way of infected transplants and causes the roots to become gnarled,misshapen, and unable to take up enough water. Above ground afflicted plants look stunted and yellowish, and they wilt easlily.There is no cure for clubroot, but you will find some good preventive medicine in your supermarket produce isle. namely, rhubarb. Bury stalks of it in the planting beds and your cole crops should stay free of the the fungus. (But be on the safe side and grow your brassica crops in a different spot every year, and if clubroot is commonn in your area don't buy seed or transplants that were locally grown."

Hope this helps your problem
Is Not That, Plants were All Nice and Green, No Wilting what so ever, Cauliflower Grew up to about 3.5-4 feet High and got HUGE Leaves on the Stalks... Broccoli grew about 3 feet high and also got Huge Leaves on the Stalk...

I'm pretty Sure John S has it Right, that 1 week of really hot weather we had created them to Bolt, ending in nothing but stalk and leaves and no heads!

Both Cauliflower and Broccoli was Very Healthy Looking with the exception of the Huge Leaves they got on them and the No Forming of Heads!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Could be that it is the weather. But we are all getting that including your friend that you said got a great crop. I saw a garden last week end that had all three of the cole crops and they were at least 4 foot tall and all have heads on them. Did you ever try to contact PSU or your local county agent?
Mine are all growing good and the temps have been high 80s and low 90s.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Sage

Why plants bolt can be due to them not being planted early enough before it gets hot, and some varieties of cruciferous plants are more suseptible to bolting than others.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

John,

I started more Broccoli and Cauliflower on Wednesday....I started them the way I always start small seeds like them..

I take a napkin and dampen it then lay the seeds out on it and fold over and put in a ziplock plastic bag and let them sit for a few days till the seeds start to pop and sprout...then I take them and put them into peat pellets to get them going...ONLY Way I have had success in starting Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and Collard Greens on my own..

Like I said, I started them Wednesday and last evening transfered them to the peat pellets...

Do you think it is to soon?? I still have seeds, I only started 12 of each..

To soon with all the heat we could get in August?

Should I maybe have waited till second week of august and started them?

I do not want the fall crop to do the same as the spring crop did!! This is the FIRST Time I have ever had Broccoli and Cauliflower Bolt!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page