Wineberries - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Wineberries

Picked just over 4 gallons yesterday and barely made a dent in the patch we have. We'll probably pick another few gallons this evening.

On Sunday, I picked two gallons of blueberries from our domestic bushes. We aren't getting any Black berries this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Re: Wineberries

I have picked 7 gallons of raspberries so far. The black berries are just getting started and I anticipate picking around 10 to 12 gallons. I am picking them for a farmer friend in Nebraska, who likes to make wine. I have been putting them in 1 gallon zip lock backs with a cup of water. I have been sucking the air out of the bags and I rotate the full bags a couple of times over the first couple of hours in the freezer, to try and get some water on most of the berries. I am hoping this helps to keep them from freezer burn. Any suggestions on a better manner of freezing?

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Wineberries

If we wash blue berries, we roll them on a towel to dry. Then place them on cookie sheets in the freezer and let them freeze individually. Once frozen they are transferred to a closed freezer container and they stay loose that way so I can just scoop out a cup or two as needed. The wineberries are frozen individually as well. And then put into airtight freezer containers. We have never had a problem with berries and freezer burn. I have kept some as long as three years in the freezer, however, we keep them in a chest freezer (not frost free) at -10 degrees. I currently have some black berries in the freezer, frozen the same, individually, that have been in there for two years. No freezer burn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page