garlic - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

garlic

went to put more leaves on garden and found my garlic sprouting. always had a garden but never really grew garlic. will this hurt anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Re: garlic

By hurt you mean - what? There is evidence that plants (some plants anyhow) are actually benificial to other plants when they are grown in close proximity. My wife had a book, she took it with her when she left, called tomatoes love spinich (or something like that) in which the author had described in detail what plants grew better when planted with certain other plants. My wife followed the reccomendations in the book and her garden, vegatable and flower, were spactacular.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

i mean if the garlic sprouted and then freezes. i know the garlic is supposed to develop a root system before the freeze but am wondering with the warm weather and it sprouting will that make a difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM

welcome to garlic growing. The sprouts will survive all winter... with or without the leaves.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrommer
i mean if the garlic sprouted and then freezes. i know the garlic is supposed to develop a root system before the freeze but am wondering with the warm weather and it sprouting will that make a difference
Isn't gonna Hurt a thing!

I put my Garlic in at the End of August and let it grow till around the end of June Beginning of July...Mine have leaves up a good 6-8 inchs by now and the freeze never hurts them!

My Father-in-law's Brother plants differently (unbelieveing of a Certain 1 on here) and grows his for 2-3 years before pulling and always has nice Garlic Bulbs!

If you have Hyacinths growing in any flower beds, try to remember in February and if there is any snow on the ground, to move some snow away and look for the shoots coming up...they seem to push shoots up long before the snow is even starting to melt and they never freeze and get killed off!

Bulbed flowers/spices don't seem to freeze, thier internal structure does a reverse and creates an antifreeze of a chemical Sorta to keep them from Freezeing!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks just wasnt sure how that worked,my gramps always planted garlic and his grew beautiful i could remember helping him braid his so he could take us fishing afterwards,i should of listened and learned alot more from him but i didnt so know i have to ask dumb guestions, later
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

okie-dokie tanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM

The reason why you plant the Garlic in the fall is to give the clove a head-start on turning into a nice bulb. Your Garlic is in fine shape, and will be the 1st thing you see sprouting in your Garden early next spring.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page