I Hate Zuchinni - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I Hate Zuchinni

Seriously!! Every year I get Blossom end rot! It's driving me crazy. haven't had too much rain or anything. Everything I read says to add calcium but I mix a million things in my soil and nothing else I plant ever has an issue. Somehow I doubt that Zuc's are that dang needy lol. I've never seen a dang plant so hard to grow. It's like a high maintenance women that you just can't make happy. Maddening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 AM

Re: I Hate Zuchinni

Weird. I hate them because I always have way too many of them. LOL I won't even plant them anymore because it gets to the point that you can't give them away.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 AM

I only like Zuchinni bread

Nature can teach us alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I hear that!! For whatever reason though I just cannot get them to grow out. Every single year they get BER which everything else in the garden does spectacular. The worst part is that they are my wives favorite. The plant will be dead pretty soon I am sure as BER is the first sign. I'll give it another 3 weeks before it's all over. I suppose I will try and grow it in another spot next year. Do a little crop rotation of something.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefromthesky
Weird. I hate them because I always have way too many of them. LOL I won't even plant them anymore because it gets to the point that you can't give them away.
Not me brother.I make whatever i can with them, and then some.I love em!However i do give a few away.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Trout, you can still plant another batch I plant them all the way till August. Try a different spot. We eat them almost everyday. Grilled, stuffed, fried, zuke soup and zuke bread. I have 14 planted so far and will plant another 8 or so. I'll be picking my first batch next week. Good Luck and try another spot.

No Place I'd Rather be, than UP a Tree
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 PM

holy crap Long Beard, 14 plants in the ground with another 8 coming.........dang, we can't keep up with two plants at my place. By the time we get to the second/third pickings they are the size of bazookas

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM

LOL.....We eat it almost every day grilled. I freeze a bunch for zuke soup in the winter (awesome to take ice fishing). I give a bunch away to.

Last year the stink bugs got to my late crop, they seem to love zukes.

No Place I'd Rather be, than UP a Tree
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
holy crap Long Beard, 14 plants in the ground with another 8 coming.........dang, we can't keep up with two plants at my place. By the time we get to the second/third pickings they are the size of bazookas

4C, Long Beard has NOTHING over on my FIL....My FIL Plants 2-3 PACKS of seeds in the Garden...he grates up Alot of Zukes each year to make Zuke Bread all winter long...He Yells at me alot when I get in the Garden and steal a few small ones to deep fry or to slice open and cut the middles out of and stuff with cheese and ground chicken...

I always tell him when he starts yelling "You planted 2-3 Packs of Seeds, you got Zukes Coming out your Ears, Me stealing a few to make another way then Zuke Bread isn't going to Hurt your Harvest" But he still doesn't get it... he thinks he will not have enough to store for the winter to make Bread!
Over half our garden is Zukes!!! he normally plants them all at 1 time but this year said he is going to stagger them....I've told him 3 seeds would be plenty for what he needs but he doesn't get it and all he does with them is Grate them up so he can freeze to make Zuke Bread all winter long!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Part of the Community

I'm wondering if you don't have bacterial wilt rather than blossom end rot. It's carried by a variety of cucumber and squash beetles and results in the death of the plant. Could be why the calcium doesn't do anything. Bacterial wilt can start the same way, by withering the blossoms, and it ends with the plant just withering away. Here's a link that can help you diagnose:

Bacterial Wilt

Support Our Troops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page