Berry Seasons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Berry Seasons

Hi ,
Wondering approximately when berrys would be ripe, particularly blueberries/huckleberries. Also, what is the difference between rasberries and blackberries. I see canes with red berries and presume they are rasberries?
Thanks berry much,
Smiley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Re: Berry Seasons

smiley,
The Red Berries you are seeing on canes are Not Raspberries, they are Wine Berries http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...Wineberry.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_phoenicolasius

They normally have a Tart Flavor to them and are Good for making just what the name says... Wine!

They are normally the first to rippen around the end of june to beginning of July...

The difference between Black Raspberries and Black Berries is... Raspberries are smaller, Black Berries are HUGE, almost the size of your Thumb if not Bigger.... they both are good for making jams, jellies and wines!

Black Raspberry--- http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...Raspberry.html

Black Berry-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry

they both grow on Canes....the Black Raspberry rippens sooner then the Black Berry, black Raspberries normally right in around the time of Wine Berries and the Black Berry around the middle of July...

1 thing some get confused is the Black Berry and what I know as a "Dew Berry" (there might be another name for them, I always have known them to be called Dew Berriers)...

Black Berries grow on canes or stalks upright and can get mighty high, I know a place I pick from that the plants are a good 15 feet high and I need a ladder to pick from the plants...Dew Berries grow on a small vine that grows across the ground, thus why I was always told they were Dew Berries... they get almost as big as Black berries...

as for the Blue Berries, I have not picked them to often but seem to remember when I found them, it was from now until almost the end of July, depending on what type they were!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Should have Said...

The Red Berries on canes you are seeing MIGHT Be Wine Berries for that is what folks normally see and think Red Raspberries...

But you Could be seeing Black Raspberries or Black Berries depending on how big they are...normally both start out red before going to black and fully rippened...

Do the red Berries your seeing look "Furry" around them? If so, Wine Berries...... Wine Berries, have a "Furry" Case that surrounds the Berry before they are rippened and look Red!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That is some very helpful info. I will check them out more closely and get back to the furry thing.
Thanks a lot,
Smiley
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Black raspberries are in right now. Mine are half over already. "red" wine berries usually come in after the black raspberries from my experience.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Blueberry/Huckleberries are ripe right now in Juniata and Perry counties. The northern counties need another two weeks yet however you will find one or two here and there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 AM

All the places I pick from it is Backwards then what your getting, the wine berries come in first and then the Black Raspberries and then about Mid July the Black Berries...

I was just out looking tonight on the farm, Black Raspberries are Still Green, wine berries are furred out and starting to open!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Our blueberries are ready typically the end of July into August. We have a ton of Raspberries on our canes, but they are a few weeks from being ready. Our Blackberries are ready around September.

American by birth, union by force.
Would like to see that bumper sticker.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodywoodduck
All the places I pick from it is Backwards then what your getting, the wine berries come in first and then the Black Raspberries and then about Mid July the Black Berries...

I was just out looking tonight on the farm, Black Raspberries are Still Green, wine berries are furred out and starting to open!
I guess every little micro-climate is different.

Been picking my Black Raspberries for almost a week now and they will be all but gone by the weekend. They do get full sun almost all day, maybe that makes a difference.

The areas that I check out for wild red wine berries still had the berries closed as of yesterday. But alot of those don't get full sun. I'm sure that makes a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page