Wild tea - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wild tea

I just found that Dutch Pantry in Schafferstown and Myerstown is making and bottling mint tea under the name of Meadow tea. It is delicious, I grew up drinking that stuff from the wild mint that grew around my home and we make it now from mint I planted. I will be buying a lot this summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
The Man

Re: Wild tea

I drink it all summer..Just a short walk down the road, it is growing all over the place here..Called "creek tea" here, they sell it at most of the local church picnics.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM
RS
Frequent Contributor

My grandma called it - stomach balsam, I can smell it today, in my memories, and remember standing in her kitchen as a youngster. The tea was good tasting and also good for you. I think I found some "mint tea" plants the other day, I will have to check on them as they grow and see if that's what they are, maybe I will make some tea, if that's what it is.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/300/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 AM

HAHA, I gotta tell a little Funny about Mint Tea...

Mom used to have a BIG Batch that grew along side the walk that went from the back of the house to Dad's Wood Shop...Mom used to make mint tea to drink during the summer from that and she pulled a lot of it up and hung it in the back porch to dry so she could use it in the winter when 1 of us got a stomach Ache(That stuff was GREAT for upset Stomachs!!)
Well about 5 years or so before Dad died, he decided to redo the electric in his wood shop...he dug up along that walk and laid PVC pipe in with the wires running thru it to the wood shop...He ripped out all of Mom's mint tea she had growing..

Well about 2 years after Dad died, some how a batch started to grow (Well Mom THOUGHT it was a Batch of her mint tea)
She picked a mess of it 1 day and took it in and laid it on her kichen table..her cat got into it, she hollered at him for getting into it, didn't help to keep him out of it...she put it in a plastic bag and stuck it up on a shelf, Cat jumped up on the counter and got the bag and ripped it apart!
She tried everything she could to get him to stay out of it!
Well he finally ate all of it, so Mom decided she was just going to pull some when she wanted a cup of mint tea and make it fresh, she picked some 1 day and made a cup of tea, drank it and did not like it....I happened to stop by that day and she asked me to try the mint tea, I could smell something in the house when I went in and could not figure out what the smell was, when I got the taste of that "Mint Tea" I KNEW Right away what was Wrong!
It Wasn't her Mint tea coming back from long lost years before, but some how Cat Nip got to start growing in that Same Exact Spot the mint tea had grown in!

I got a good laugh out of it!! Mom looked at me and said "No Dang Wonder that Stupid Cat was getting into it every time I brought it in the House!"

Mint tea and cat nip have somewhat of the same shape to the leaves BUT they SMELL Different then the other and the mint tea has a Round stalk and the cat nip has a somewhat Square stalk...How Mom mised the smell and stalk deal I'll never know! Guess she was Wishful thinking that he mint tea patch had come back!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
The Man

We've got mint growing all over behind the garage where a former roommate was considerate enough to plant the potted mint plant he kept. Don't know about making tea from it, but it makes a heck of a mint julep!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
I drink it all summer..Just a short walk down the road, it is growing all over the place here..Called "creek tea" here, they sell it at most of the local church picnics.
what is the process for making it? i have a bunch. do you dry it first and then use it like tea leaves? what ratio water to leaves?

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Never made it from dry leaves although I'm sure you can. My wife just puts the freshlycut plants, leaves and stems into a pot and gently boils it for a short while, removes the plants and adds sugar to taste. Let it cool and put it into a container and then into the fridge.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
The Man

I actually semi-chop the fresh leaves, stems, tops up in my food processer, and run it through a coffee maker twice...Makes it strong the way I like it...Add a little honey and I'm set...Usually make a gallon at a time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM
The Man

I've never made plain mint tea, but I like to add it to the water with teabags to make a "minty" ice tea. Very refreshing.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page