fiddleheads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

fiddleheads

will someone post a pic of the fiddleheads that are good to eat i would like to try them i havent had them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: fiddleheads

THE EDIBLE FIDDLEHEADS OARE THE YOUNG SHOOTS OF the ostrich fern which i dont believe grows native around here. they are typicaly to the north in canada. you can find ostrich ferns that are sold in stores but these are cultivated and are not fit for consumption.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Sage

Fiddleheads do grow in PA., at least in the northern teirs of the state. I found a pace in Potter along the Allegany river where there were hundreds of them growing. They usually grow along rivers or damp areas. The young frond will have a brown paper type husk on it, a sure way of telling them from other no edible ferns. I first found out what Fiddleheads were when I was spring bear hunting in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I was just out looking for morels today and found fiddle heads I thought they were the correct ones , these had that thin brown paper type covering. I did not know that was a ID , appreciate the info.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 AM

I Found some the other week at Boyds Big Tree Area in Dauphin County...I posted a picture of them to find out what they were...

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...12#Post2216712

And the smaller ones under the leaves had a somewhat of a paper husk on the tops of them!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

been pikin them for years here in Fayette and Greene. they are everywhere right now, we take five onion bags four for morels and one for fiddlers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient indian
I was just out looking for morels today and found fiddle heads I thought they were the correct ones , these had that thin brown paper type covering. I did not know that was a ID , appreciate the info.
I don't have a pic to post.That being said the fuzzy,whitish hair fiddle heads are no good.The one's you want are a dark green,waxy look to them.Just pick some this morning.

No morels yet that I can find.To cold yet i'm thinking.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

as Dayton boy said ostrich ferns are the major fiddle heads that are consumer. nearly all ferns grow up from fiddle heads that is the immature frond of the plant that will grow and unwind. The only time I have seen ostrich fern plants in the wild was in the Adirondacks in Northern New York. I would really research the edible fiddle heads before consuming any there are ones that are quite nonhazardous to your health if eaten. on the up side ferns are rather easy to identify with some work and a good field guide. best of luck to you.

Don't tell fish stories where folks know you especially, don't tell them where they know the fish.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

DIDNT REALIZE THEre where edible ones here in pa. good info you learn somethign new everyday

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page