Tomato varieties - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
atr
Banned

Tomato varieties

What varieties do you plant? Started planting them yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Re: Tomato varieties

Early Girl and Better Boy....Its to early,I plant around the 2nd week of May

Nature can teach us alot.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM

I'm growing Roma, Summer Salsa, 4th of July, Ponderosa Red, Porterhouse, Super Beefsteak, Big Boy, Beef Maestro, Better Boy, Golden Jubilee, Brandywine, Beefmaster, Marglobe, Oxheart, Rutgers, Yellow Pear and Super Sweet Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Better Boy and Roma, way too early to plant yet.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntered
Early Girl and Better Boy....
Those are 2 of my favorites.Always top producers!!!

I also stagger some cherry types a few weeks apart.
Plant at the garden edge or even in containers,makes for an easy access snack!!!
Sungold and Black Cherry are good ones.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
The Man

Big Boys and Romas, and I disagree about it being too early to plant. Granted I'm a LITTLE farther south, but I don't see any killing frost happening any time soon, and the real trick to planting tomatoes is to plant them DEEP. Tear off most of the leaves, leaving just a few at the top, and plant them almost all the way down to those leaves.

They won't grow up much this early, but what is happening is that all along that stem that's in the ground, new roots are sprouting and spreading outward. By the time it warms up and the plants decide it's time to grow, they'll have an incredible root mass uderground to supply water and nutrients to the plant.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
The Man

I agree with hippie about planting them clear up to the top leaf mass. After I start them in those small jiffy pots I transplant into plastic cups and bury the bottom 5-6 inches in soil in the cup. Whenever I transplant the cups into the garden I again bury the plant clear up to the leafy part. The stem them turns into a giant taproot in effect and provides the plant with much more water and nutrients. Also the plant is much more stable and can deal with wind better it seems.

Contrary to Hippie I don't put mine in the ground yet because I feel it's too early.

I plant Big Boy, Roma, and Honey Bunch tomatoes. That gets all the aspects covered: big boy for slicing, Roma for sauce/canning, and honey bunch for salads/dipping.

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

I always plant up to the first leaf stems and sometimes if the pland is big enough beyond that. My plants turn into trees. I also miricle grow them once a week and dress with epsom salt once a week. I have planted early in the past and I do not get production any earlier. I would rather wait until the days are warm enough to warm the soil before I plant.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 PM

I plant a tomatoe type that has been in my Buddy's Family back close to the Civil War...his Grandparents started saving the seeds each fall and starting them in the spring, his parents did the same thing and now he does the same....

He calls them "Pepper Tomatoes", they look something like a long Sweet Pepper that got FAT and some what resemble Romas but they are NOT Romas, they get very little seeds in them are all "Meat" and make GREAT BLTs and also Sauce!
He starts atleast 200 of them each spring and trys to get the folks that buys plants from him to try them, everyone shys away from them for some reason and only wants the Regular Better Boys, Big Boys, Romas, cherry tomatoes and such, we can not figure out whythey will not atleast try them!

It ends up he and his Brother and I and another buddy end up planting all of them and Enjoying them!

I also do the big boys, romas and Mountain Prides he starts but mainly it is the "Pepper Tomatoes"

It takes my Buddy atleast 3 dozen each Fall to get enough seeds out of them to start 200 tomatoe plants the next spring!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

I would like to try those pepper maters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page