Potato question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Potato question

Ok a long passed farmer I grew next to told me this 30+ yrs ago. He had said to grow potatoes in peat moss.Now this is not for large production.He had said they grew larger than growing them in dirt...Now I have thought about this since hearing it...Really thinking of trying it this year finally... What are your thoughts on this.Old farmers wise tale or some fact behind it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Re: Potato question

I would say the rodents and other larger animals have easy access to them also you can grow them under straw,myself i never tried either way but i do grow them under ground and the one year i got 5 two pounders plus many one pounders.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Sage

I can see where the potatoes might get larger because they would be in soft material and it would be easy to pull back the material to harvest, however I agree with the above post regarding rodent damage. In 1975 a friend told me he simply makes a trench and puts in his potato sets and covers the trench with hay. He said they got big and were easy to harvest. I tried it. I got very nice big, clean potatos but I lost half of them to mice and voles. I would pick out a nice spud and when I had it in my hand the bottom half was gone, chewed off by mice. More work with soil, gotta hoe up the dirt etc, but the critters won't eat them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

I was turning over my compost heap last year and to my surprise I uncovered about a dozen softball size 'taters. Think I may try planting some seed potatoes in the heap this year.

"I refuse to tip-toe through Life only to arrive safely at Death"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM

I heard a way to grow potatoes above ground, in tires. I was going to try it this year, but I'm a little late with the weather. You take a tire, lay it on the ground, fill with dirt or sand and plant 2-3 seed taters. As the plants grow, add another tire and more soil, until you have a stack of 4 or 5 tires/dirt. The new potatoes grow from the seed potato UP. Simply knock off the tires and harvest at the end of the season. I read you can get up to 30 pounds of taters in one stack of tires with 2-3 seeds.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut
I heard a way to grow potatoes above ground, in tires. I was going to try it this year, but I'm a little late with the weather. You take a tire, lay it on the ground, fill with dirt or sand and plant 2-3 seed taters. As the plants grow, add another tire and more soil, until you have a stack of 4 or 5 tires/dirt. The new potatoes grow from the seed potato UP. Simply knock off the tires and harvest at the end of the season. I read you can get up to 30 pounds of taters in one stack of tires with 2-3 seeds.
That does work!

I and a Buddy of mine have done that, I used 4 tires, my buddy had 10 or more stacked up..

1 draw back, you need to Water then MAJORLY even before it gets to the point where the fields are drying out, the sun beating down on those black tires,dries the dirt out majorly!

put a hose ontop and let it run till you see it seeping out the bottom!

your not to late to do that this year,there is still plenty of time to get them planted!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I should have also stated that you grow them in a trash can with drain holes in the bottom...Sounds like it possible
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diger1733
I should have also stated that you grow them in a trash can with drain holes in the bottom...Sounds like it possible
I've heard of the Trash Can deal with sweet potatoes but never regular potatoes...

I only did the Tires...Tried sweet potatoes 1 time with the straw, my Buddy's Brother grows his sweet potatoes in straw, lays paper down and wets it then lays the sweet potatoe shoots ontop of the wet paper and a little horse/cow manure along them (Not over top them) and then covers with the Straw...

I planted sweet potatoes like that 1 year, I had the rabbits and deer push the straw away and eat all the sweet potatoes shoots before they could grow any sweet potatoes on them, ended my trying to grow sweet potatoes, I get sick of feeding the rabbits, deer and coon all summer long and now try to only grow what they don't like to eat, which is a pretty SMALL LIST!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM
The Man

Woody was it green manure or composted manure? I have access to an abundance of green manure but I thought it would be too hot to grow potatoes in... I'm new to the potato thing I have my seed in the ground but we'll see how they turn in the end of the season.

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Four
Woody was it green manure or composted manure? I have access to an abundance of green manure but I thought it would be too hot to grow potatoes in... I'm new to the potato thing I have my seed in the ground but we'll see how they turn in the end of the season.
It was Manure that sat on a pile unturned from a winter (December to February) dumping and then used that spring....

I've used what you call "Green Manure" around many different plants and mixed it in the Tires where I've grown regular potatoes, I do NOT put it right up against the plants and have had no problem, in the tires, the manure is mixed with Dirt then placed in the tires and it is not an Huge Amount, maybe a 5 gallon bucket full of "Green Manure" to how ever much dirt it takes to fill up a tire for planting the potatoes.....

The Sweet Potatoe Deal with the news paper has the manure placed along side in a line on each side of the paper and the sweet potatoes shoots are placed in the middle, not touching the shoots and then covered over with straw...most likely after rain or watering, it causes the manure to be lessened in its harsh "Hot" Factor and leachs the needed chemicals into the news paper and straw and ground under the news paper (I'm not exactly sure on that, do not understand the working of manur going from "Hot" to "Not Hot")

He grows some pretty Big Sweet Potaoes the way he grows them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page