Starting garden plants - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Starting garden plants

I am going to help my Grandson with his small garden and this year he wants to start his own plants from seed. He is 14 and this will be his third year having his own garden.

When do you start tomatoes, peppers etc. and what mix do you use for starting soil?

Any tips will be a great help.

Thanks for any info to help him have success.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting garden plants

My rule of thumb is 6-8 weeks before you want to plant them in the garden. Last year I used a couple of those greenhouse kits the stores sell - I think they were just compacted peat moss, but with the plastic cover that keeps the moisture in - that seems to help with germination.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 AM

I started my tomatos a week ago, they just germinated and popped up over the last 2 days. I started my peppers on Sunday, they should start popping up on Saturday. Walmart had miracle grow seed starting formula on sale for $5 for 25 or 30 lbs. I use the 120 cell flats with the clear cover I picked up at ACE for $4.50, and I bought an aquarium lid with the grow bulb in it at goodwill for $0.99. I built a rack for it, and I hang the light by small chains so I can adjust the height as the plants start. I give the plants 16 hours of light per day, and water them with 70-75* water.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For light, would letting the plants sit near a SE facing window be enough? Basement is keeping about 65 degrees with a woodstove. Might look to do this, this year too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm mot sure...An article I read had said 16 hours of light a day, I let the sun do it's thing during mid day, and have the light on a timer. If you think about it, nature doesn't supply additional light other than natural length of day, and plants have been growing for millions of years on their own .

They also make incadecent grow lights if you have a spare lamp, but they do get very hot, and getting the right distance can be a little trickier.

I think 65* is fine for growing them, and if you do get a flat with a lid, and have it in a window, the soil will heat up a little on its own. I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to start seeds, I just explained the way I do it, and it works for me.

Whatever you decide on, good luck!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsnut
For light, would letting the plants sit near a SE facing window be enough? Basement is keeping about 65 degrees with a woodstove. Might look to do this, this year too.
My Buddy who owns a Green House, Starts his pepper and tomatoe seeds in his house, he uses a West Facing Window and turns the plants once each day so they grow upright and do not bend toward the sun...

He grows them on that west facing window for about 5 weeks (HE has tomatoes and peppers started already and sitting on that west window sill) then takes them to the green house and transplants them into six packs to be later sold.

You can use a window, just make sure you rotate the trays atleast once a day so the seedlings Grow Upright and that window sill is not a perch for a dog or cat or your going to end up loosing seedlings!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks woody,

I forgot to mention turning trays, big mistake the first year I did it,lol.

Also, once they get to about 3", lightly brush over the tops with your hand once a day, this simulates wind, and will help grow a stronger plant.

I just checked on my soil to see if its drying out yet, and my tomato plants are about 2 1/2" tall. I wish I had more room in the garden for a diverse crop, but living in town, I only have a 10x20' unit with those topsy turvy hanging baskets all over the porch.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM

puma,

Are you doing seed flats for startes or individual 6 pack cells as starters?

My Buddy uses seed flats, when the seedlings have 4 sets of leaves, he takes them to the green house and transplants to 6 pack cells, normally 5 weeks.... Cuts down the cost and agravation for him to do it that way starting in his house, he does not have to worry about a fire burning out in the stove in the middle of the night in the green house, he is already heating his house and does not have to get up in the middle of the night to run to the green house to make sure the fire is still going..

Something he explained to me a few years ago when he taught me how to transplant the seedlings from the starter flats to the 6 pack cells.. he said the more you transplant a seedling before it goes into the garden, the better it will grow, they might droop a little at first, but in the end when they go to the garden, they are stronger and healthier then if they were started straight in a 6 pack cell..

We did a few in 6 packs cells the year after he taught me how to transplant and the others he does in the starter flats...he did this to show me the differance....I was surprised, there is a Differance that can be seen!

If you can learn how to start in a seed flat and then transplant to a 6 pack, try it sometime!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM

I do what Big Trout said. Start my plants indoors 6-7 weeks before I can plant them outside. I usually start mine the last week in March and plant them outside around May 15. I don't like starting them real early. Its a lot of extra work for not much gain IMO. You can buy a seed starter mix at almost any home and garden place.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Woody,

I start my seeds in a 120 cell flat, then I transfer to 3" peat pots. I only do the peat pots because I only start enough plants for me and me father(120 plants combined), he plants the pots directly in the ground after slitting the sides, I usually remove the plants ans save my pots for next year.

I wish I had a small green house, but until I have a permant lake to work at, I bounce around every few years. I didn't really get into gardening until 4 years ago, and would love the oportunity to have something in the 50x100' range for a garden.

Whaler,

I may start too early, but with this years reloading done, and firewood season a little ways off, it keeps the cabin fever away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page