Fruit Trees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Fruit Trees

My Annual Seed Catalogs are coming in...

I've been wanting to get a couple of those "Fruit Cocktail" Fruit trees to put in the yard...

A few years back a Buddy and I bought a bunch of different Fruit Trees and Nut Trees from Gurneys and planted them on the Farm. None of them amounted to a hill of beans!

So, I'm looking thru these catalogs and wondering who to buy from.

Gurneys is OUT! I know they have that deal that if something does not grow, they will replace it no questions asked, well we had those fruit trees and nut trees replaced and the same thing happened, they withered and Died, we took care of them like needed but they did not grow at all!

I had bought some Americain Plum Trees back in 2002 from a seed catalog (Can not remember who it was) they had those Americain Plum trees at a VERY GREAT Deal...10 Trees for 10 bucks and they were only about 6 inchs tall (seedlings) all of them survived that I planted...but the problem was, I did not plant them in my Yard, I planted them out in the woods and they are still growing and produce very small Plums on them that the wild critters enjoy!

Has anyone had success with Fruit Trees from seed catalogs?

If so, who has the Best trees for the price and the trees survive and do not end up dead 2 months after planting??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 AM

Re: Fruit Trees

I have had goodluck with Millers New York (around the finger lakes region,) they stand behind there product and will replace for a year no problems, I have apple,cherry,pear and plum oh and put in a peach last year.
Planted one of their apple trees a year later than one from a box store and their tree has done twice as well and producing fruit at four years, last spring had alot of nice blossoms but got hit with a late frost. They are a great nursery and I have planted their aspargus and they are doing great. If you are interested give me a Pm and I will look up the address and they will send you a cataloge.
Just my opinion I have always been happy with their stuff and if you need advice they will talk to you on the phone and are really a big help, planted two cherries two years ago, planted in wrong area, did not know that cherries require well drained soil, they told me what to look for(type of area) and sent me two more trees at no charge. I dont think you can beat that kind of service, The new trees are doing well.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

My 1 Buddy gets Millers Catalog..He has not gotten this years yet but I already told him I need it when he gets it in to see what all they offer...when I get hold of it, I'll see what they have and call them and talk to them about their products!

Thanks for the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient indian
I have had goodluck with Millers New York (around the finger lakes region,) they stand behind there product and will replace for a year no problems, I have apple,cherry,pear and plum oh and put in a peach last year.
Planted one of their apple trees a year later than one from a box store and their tree has done twice as well and producing fruit at four years, last spring had alot of nice blossoms but got hit with a late frost. They are a great nursery and I have planted their aspargus and they are doing great. If you are interested give me a Pm and I will look up the address and they will send you a cataloge.
Just my opinion I have always been happy with their stuff and if you need advice they will talk to you on the phone and are really a big help, planted two cherries two years ago, planted in wrong area, did not know that cherries require well drained soil, they told me what to look for(type of area) and sent me two more trees at no charge. I dont think you can beat that kind of service, The new trees are doing well.

Now I know Why the Cherry Trees we ordered did not make it...

We planted them beside the pond, Right on the Bank, about 4 feet from the edge of the pond and when we dug the hole, we had water seeping into the hole we dug and thought it would be a good deal to keep the cherry trees going and not die due to not enough water....looks like we Drowned those poor trees!

But the Chestnut trees, Pear Trees, Apple Trees and Plum Trees were put in a well draining area and we carried water to them about 3 times a week to keep the soil moist to keep them from drying out and ending up dead, but they died anyway!

Maybe we should have stuck the cherry trees where we stuck all the others and stuck the others on the pond bank?

The ones I'm planning on getting this year are going in the Back Yard..I'd like a Fruit Cocktail tree and a 5 in 1 apple and pear tree to put in the back yard...hopefully Millers have what I want...Your not the first person to suggest them...I just never got their catalog but a Buddy does and will be giving me his when he gets it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage

Woody, here is Miller's website.

http://www.millernurseries.com/

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Between my Dad and I we've planted 10 trees (4 apples, 3 cherry, and 3 pear) from Gurney's and haven't had one die on us yet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Part of the Community

I've had good luck with Millers. Have purchased grapes, apples, raspberries and cherries from them and all are thriving.

Support Our Troops
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I got a PM from a guy who I Trust Pretty Good from how he and I have helped each other out over the years we both been on HPA...

Who he suggested is Very Close and is better to go to them and buy then to pay shipping and not know what your going to get in the mail!

I'm Thankfull for his help he has given me over the years...

I'll let him do the posting on who it is to buy from..others might be interested in buying also....I'm very sure it can not be beat with being able to see what your getting, being able to ask questions directly to those who are selling and have them help understand the Best places to plant!

Thanks Again for the Information...I'll be checking them out closer to planting season!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Regular Visitor

I have 5 trees on the way from Stark Bro's nursery. Hope I made some good choices. Just got a lot and had to put somthing in it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

Woody, don't know where for sure you are located but here is where I get my fruit trees. They will ship, follow the link to bare root stock.These trees are about 5/8" in diameter and about 5' tall I have never had one not grow if taken care of according to their instructions. Not cheap but they are guaranteed. Location is Adams county SC Pa.

http://www.boyernurseries.com/index.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page