Black What! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Black What!

No Black Walnuts. Just went down to the lower part of my property and sat and husked enough to fill a 3 gal bucket. Then I spred them over on some old wicker furniture on the back porch(sshh dont tell the wife). Now what is next??? I was think about putting some in the Bar-B-Q grill and turning 1 burner on and spreading them out on the racks for an hour or so. Bad Idea or Good Idea??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 AM

Re: Black What!

I picked up about the same amount. When I husked them they had a lot of maggots on the shell. Is this normal? I planted about 20 and put the rest out for the squirrel to eat or plant.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage

You have to hull them, wear rubber gloves unless you want to be accused of belonging to the Black Hand. I have never heard of anyone burning the hulls off.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
The Man

One way to get the hulls off is to wear heavy boots and just step on them and roll them around a little with your feet, and the husks will come off.

I've heard of people driving over them with vehicles to get the hulls off too.

As John said, wear rubber gloves when handling them, because the stain is very hard to get off.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I got the husks off...now what to do with them? Put them in an oven or dehydrator?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqrlhntr
I picked up about the same amount. When I husked them they had a lot of maggots on the shell. Is this normal? I planted about 20 and put the rest out for the squirrel to eat or plant.
Yeah some of mine had small white maggots or a kind of worm in them too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Sage

No, No , you don't dehydrate nuts or roast them in the shell. You can put them in a safe place and use them as you want them of you can crack and pick them now. Putting them in a dry skillet and toast them a little shaking the pan to keep them from burning will bring out the taste or you can put them on a baking sheet ant roast them in the oven to bring out the flavor. Just don't burn them. Then put them in an air tight container and you have walnuts when you want them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks JohnS,
I knew I'd find someone here that could help me out. How long, about would you say, to put them in the oven for and what temp?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Sage

about 350 bit only until you start to smell them, you don't want to burn them. Shake the pan every once in a while to move them around. I prefer the stove top in a dry skillet because you are with them all the time and can constantly shake the pan.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 AM
The Man

Black Walnuts.....Now Thats Funny!!!!That gave me an Outdoor flashback!!!!!
As we all know black walnuts are great to boil your traps in to dye them prior to trapping season.. Years back when I started trapping I traveled all over the counties of SCPA....Picking Black Walnuts to use to dye my traps.. I placed them in large plastic garbage bags under the secluded pine trees in the backyard.. Did not want people to see big bags of what appeared to be garbage sitting out in the backyard....Now the day came for me to boil my traps...I went under the pine trees to retrieve black walnuts to boil my traps...Looked in the bags.....NOT ONE BLACK WALNUT to be found...The squirrels......They robbed me blind...
Um if you lay them in the back yard those same squirrels that stole my nuts will steal yours too.......
Now I buy Trap Dye instead of foraging...Let that to the squirrels.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page