The 2016 Garden Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The 2016 Garden Thread

Well here we go with another gardening season. Today is Earth Day, go plant something. It has been really dry here a late. Two cold spells in the last month. I found myself replanting some things today.
I had put out snow peas the day before Easter, which is the only thing doing anything. Also, put out carrots, chives, broccoli, Brussels, chard, kale, and salad mix. It has been real slow.
Going to do a few new things this year to keep it fun. One big difference is I didn't till this year. I am putting straw down between rows. I even started tomatoes inside, which I always buy the plant. Started some asparagus. Also started green onions from seed. I should have bought started ones and they would be further along, but I like starting from seed.
Looking forward to hearing and seeing some other gardens around the state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Re: The 2016 Garden Thread

Started some tomatoes around Easter and have a few 3" tall or so. Also put in lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots this week. Should get my onion sets next week and have them in as soon as things dry out and I get my tiller back up and running.

I'm also going to try straw between the rows and as a mulch around everything. Interested to see how it goes.

Speaking of straw, has anyone ever tried growing potatoes in straw without burying them at all? I saw an article on this and thought about trying a row
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 PM

I have never tried to grow potatoes in straw. A couple of years ago I experimented with growing them in a stack of tires. Epic fail. So far this Spring I planted 5 lbs onion sets, cauliflower, lettuce and 40 lbs of seed potatoes. Tomatoes and peppers were started 4 weeks ago in the hotbed. Thinned out strawberries this week and fertilized and remulched. I like to use rotting spruce needles for berry mulch.

This is a little early for me to plant potatoes. The two week forecast looks good, and taters can withstand some frost. My peach and pear trees are setting fruit this week, apple tree buds opening now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 PM
The Man

I'm waiting a few weeks yet to be safe

Planted spinach though

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:28 PM

I put in carrots, beets, snow peas, green beans, onions and cukes so far. I'm waiting a few more weeks to plant peppers and lettuce.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Carrots, lettuce, spinach, green beans, peas, and broccoli are in. Love this time of year.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 PM

I just put in 2 Anaheim Chill Pepper plants, 1 Big Boy tomato plant. After last years over abundance I am not planting more than I can eat or give away. Mostly going with flowers this year: Black Eyed Susan and Cypress vines up the side of the shed; Amaranth (Burgundy); Bachelor Button; marigolds and a mix of wild flowers. I still have canned tomatoes from last year.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Part of the Community

Most cold weather stuff except potatoes has been in a week now...onions, peas, lettuce and radishes. Will wait a couple weeks for the warmer weather stuff like beans, cucumbers, corn and almost a month for zucchini, watermelons and tomatoes pumpkins etc. Put up a hoop house this spring and have 2 ft tall tomatoes and foot tall peppers well on the way to a June crop.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I couldn't wait put in zucchini seeds in today.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Put 2 lb of onion sets in last week. Gonna try to get my taters in today. Corn, tomatoes, and squash/zukes should follow in a week and a half or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page