Question for the tomato gurus - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Question for the tomato gurus

I think this will fit in here...

1.I asume most of us are in frost zone 5, and my question is when do you start your seeds indoors? It seems like every year I don't get any tomatos until late August. I did some reading, and by their calculations, I should be starting them around Feburary 10th!? Does that sound right?

2.Due to lack of space, I'd like to start using my basement for seed starting, I have a setup for the grow bulbs(no windows). Its an unfinished basement, and can get pretty chilly down there, do you think I'll have issues getting seeds to grow?

Thanks in advance,
puma4440

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 AM
The Man

Re: Question for the tomato gurus

that's when I start mine, by planting time they are quite large and healthy, transplant them in a large container where the roots have room to grow deep until planting time. I plant mine in mid may and keep an eye out for frost, it you get a frost overnight just be sure to pour water over them before the sun hits them, good luck! PS I put the seeds in a container on the top of the fridge until they sprout, keeps them nice and warm. Don't forget to harden off couple weeks before planting.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, it just seems odd that while the snow gets deeper, I'm planting seedlings.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 AM

Just because you plant earlier doesnt mean you'll get tomatos early. It is the strain of tomato you plant, and the shortening of sunlight as the days get shorter that trigger the tomato to ripen.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM

My Buddy who has a Green house to start his peppers and tomatoes for use in his Garden and a few to sell to locals, starts both his peppers and Tomatoes starting the Third Week of January...Starts them in small aluminum tins and keeps them on a South Facing window sill and rotates the tins every day so the plants do not just grow 1 way and bend over..

He runs 2 week startings up until first week of march...

His first starting of Tomatoes in January are about 50 plants and he increases from there...the 50 plants end up being put in Big Pots to be used for patio tomatoes that he gives to Family and Friends and they normally have Ripe tomatoes on them by the third week of July...
He has different Tomatoes that he plants and the tomatoes that go out in the field he starts sometime close to late February, he start picking from those the last week of July to First week of August and he is able to pick up until sometime in mid September...
I'm not exactly sure what Tomatoes he starts the third week of January, but I think they are the short season tomatoes that are Refered to as "July 4th tomatoes"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't remember if this pertains to tomatoes. But I found it interesting.

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:44 PM

You might want to try some of these along with your regular varieties.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoe...:Early%20Season

On a side note I've been wanting to try these. Supposedly you can plant them right in the soil and they'll tolerate a light frost.

http://henryfields.com/product.asp?p...cd2=1293290889
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM

It seems no matter what we do, we don't get ripe tomatoes until about July 10th.

I do remember reading that unless it drops below 70 degrees at night, most varietes of tomatoes won't set new fruit. Mrs usually starts her seeds in late February, so the plants are ready to go into the garden in mid April. We prefer the smaller tomatoes that ripen early. last year the largest were the Romas. We were picking quarts of yellow and red cherry tomatoes by July 21.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM

I start mine the last week of March. I want them to be 6-8 weeks old when I plant them out in mid May. I don't like plants much older than that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page