A Beauty of a Sheepshead Mushroom - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

A Beauty of a Sheepshead Mushroom

Hi Folks, new member here.

I love to fish and hunt like the rest of you.
I figured I would start out here with a mushroom thread - for no particular reason.

Yesterday, my neighbor Frank hollared through my screen door to come outside and check out what he got.

He had 5 Sheepshead mushroom - freshly harvested. He timed the cuttings perfectly because they were in prime shape - nine colors, moist, not a bug or any dirt on or between their fins.

He gave me 2 of them - which I steamed then put away in freezer bags.

I thought I would return his favor a bit.

So, I wrote up a story and combined it with the pic and sent it to Don Jacobs at WNEP Channel 16 Pa Outdoor Life Show and asked if he would put it on the air during the People and Places show segment.

I did it so Frank and the folks at the VFW could
see a TV Star in the making.

FRANK HAUSE & the Perfect Sheepshead Mushroom

Frank Hause of White Haven is still picking some of the best Sheep's Head mushrooms to be found in NEPA.

After toughing it out against major heart and back surgery over the past 2 years, Frank is still able to roam his secret mushroom spots. Thankfully, Frank’s trusty mushroom sniffer - Fluffy - is always by his side to assist.

Being an "Old-timer" and the last surviving Charter Member of the White Haven VFW Post 6615, Frank may have lost a 1/2 step, but his eyes can still spot a mosquito on a Sheep's Head from 50 yards away.

He had perfect timing on picking that beauty, because there wasn't a single bug on that 23 pounder!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Re: A Beauty of a Sheepshead Mushroom

Lord, I have NEVER heard of a Sheephead being harvested in PA in June. Gosh, I doubt that the Chantrelle's have started quite yeat, and they are typically a July or so mushroom.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:23 PM
The Man

Welcome aboard. For your first post, that is a pretty darned good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 05:24 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Lord, I have NEVER heard of a Sheephead being harvested in PA in June. Gosh, I doubt that the Chantrelle's have started quite yeat, and they are typically a July or so mushroom.
I snagged 5 of them two days ago up near Clarion. I was pretty shocked myself, and had to do a double take when I saw them. Hopefully they enjoyed the ride home a much as I did

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I spent last Thursday up at the grand canyon. Along the turkey path trail there was a real nice one growing about 20 yards off the trail.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 PM

I have zero luck at finding them. I know what they look like, and pay attention while in the woods. I know they're around in Butler ,Clinton,Centre and Armstrong Counties. But just not where I look.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am sorry but that just cant be a sheepshead. It must be a Black Staining Polypore. Some mushroom books dont even list it. I have one growing in my yard right now. I also took a picture of one I found around the first of June of this year. I will upload the pictures. I can understand how it can be miss identified but I knew from the first time I ever found one that it wasnt a hen. Check out my pics and compare. Its a black staining polypore.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 AM
Part of the Community

Leather is correct, it will stain black and spore print white. It is edible, if found young. Some folks think the taste is beef like other think it to be liver tasting. I'm not a fan.

Gary U
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary U
Leather is correct, it will stain black and spore print white. It is edible, if found young. Some folks think the taste is beef like other think it to be liver tasting. I'm not a fan.

Gary U
I am the guy that took the pic of Frankwith the mushroom.
Interesting stuff about the ID.

I will pass the info on to Frank.
I have two bags of that mushroom that I steamed then put up in freezer. I will have to cook some up and take note of the flavor.

I'm not the biggest mushroom fan - onlt eat the "sheepshead" amd papinkis.

The mushroom pictured and the others picked that day were young and fresh - no woody parts at all.

Thanks for the expert opinions...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Nice picture and article. I don't dare to trust myself picking wild mushrooms. We did find one once in our yard. It grew out of some potting soil that we bought. Now after reading this it may not have been a sheepshead but it tasted good. Thanks for the story and the comments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page