Groundhogs eating chickens????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Groundhogs eating chickens?????

Has anyone ever heard of a groundhog eating chickens?

I always thought groundhogs were strictly vegetarians. My neighbor got some chickens and made a coop earlier this year. The first day they were in there, something broke in and killed one of them and drug it out the side of the coop.
We put a havahart trap out to catch it and were unsuccessful for about a week.

They went camping this week and I was feeding the chickens and collecting the eggs. Each day the trap was sprung and you could see where something was trying to dig into the coop.
Well, yesterday before I even got over there, my dog ran over and was barking at/fighting with something in the trap. It was a groundhog in the trap. The area was all torn up where it was trying to dig into the coop and the hog itself was covered with mud on its front legs where it had been digging.
I was a little skeptical that a hog was trying to get chickens so I took the trap down to the woods and turned it loose.
Then the family went out for father's day breakfast. When I came home, the groundhog was right back in the trap and the area was more torn up.
After that I took him for a ride to the family farm and let him out.

It occurred to me that it may have been after the chicken feed. But the feed goes down a tube into a pot that is about 1 1/2 feet off the ground and the chickens eat it all up when you put it in anyway.
The bait in the trap was a fried chicken leg bone that I had wired to the trap and when I caught the hog the second time, the leg was eaten and gone.

Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not. I was just wondering if anyone else had anything like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Re: Groundhogs eating chickens?????

Quote:
Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not.
Well, Groundhogs are "Wild", and they are "Edible", so seems like the proper forum to me.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

was it the crispy or the spicy recipe on the chicken leg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I really don't know. the neighbors must have had KFC before they left for their camping trip. But believe me, it was devoured totally so the hog had a decided taste for it.
I know this is probably the darndest soundig question though. But still, it was trying to get in there after them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:19 AM
The Man

That is a crazy story and certainly a mystery.
Am a fur trapper & nuisance trapper and haven't heard of a Groundhog killing or eating Chickens. Not saying that wouldn't happen, just never saw that or heard of that.

k58 states-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">But believe me, it was devoured totally so the hog had a decided taste for it.</span></span>
Are you only assuming this or did you check the gut of the Groundhog? I don't believe you unless you checked the gut.
Rats and Mice eat meat. Skunk, Coon and Possum steal bait. Some birds will rob baited traps.
When trapping, and a miss, stolen bait or empty fired trap is found, the trapper must give thought to 'what happened' as does a detective on a murder scene. Every thing must be examined in an open mind for best results.
Don't be narrow minded, think for yourself when trying to solve this problem.
I am not on the scene, but Groundhogs will enter traps that have only the scent of another Groundhog. Possibly why you caught the second hog.
My guess, you have more work to do, you will have to get into the right mine set to further you investigation and possibly set up a trail cam or two.
Always kill nuisance or problem animals, don't re-locate to cause problems elsewhere.
Please keep us updated.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't know about a groundhog eating a raw chicken, nor of a farmer that would welcome a groundhog being freed on the farm.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Hern, I didn't check the gut of the hog. Because I released it.
I do have a trail cam set up on the coop. Just haven't checked it yet. Can't wait to see if anything else is on there though.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrabfan30
I don't know about a groundhog eating a raw chicken, nor of a farmer that would welcome a groundhog being freed on the farm.
My family owns the farm. Down where I released it, it's just a picnic area and fallow fields.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I've seen plenty of groundhogs making their home under chicken coops over the years, but I've never heard of one eating chickens.
I'm gonna guess that you havent got one nuisance critter, you've got two. The one you caught was just making a home for himself but is getting blamed for the the work of the real chicken killer.

MAGA 2020
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Ya interesting! Animals aren't a lot unlike humans in a way. There's always the idiot that enjoys eating the ghost pepper if you know what I mean. There's always that one stupid groundhog that will eat meat. Maybe you found him. That was one dog that should have been dispatched though. Baaaaad genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page