Blackberries - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Blackberries

It should be a great year for blackberries. Mine are loaded. I have about 30 cultivated plants and there are wild ones around my home. Cultivated blackberries like an inch of water a week and draining soil. This year has been opportune for blackberries. I did water mine a couple of times earlier on. They get as big as the end of my thumb. Wild blackberries are also looking real good here.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Blackberries

Awesome. Do you make pies?

Would love to see a photo.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have. This is the first year for my cultivated blackberries to yield but I have with wild ones. I made a couple one year and my SIL and BIL loved it so every year when I get a good bunch I make some pies and give them one. I make it just like a recipe for strawberry pie that uses jello, cornstarch and sugar. I more or less just changed the kind of jello. One thing on the pie making with that recipe is make sure you have good juicy berries. Sometimes when you pick wild ones you can get some that are kind of dried out and you will really notice the seeds bad. I don't think it will be an issue with these big tame ones. If I can download from a phone I will post a picture of what they look like now then maybe one before I pick them. I also have a steam juicer. With that I can extract the juice and there won't be one seed in it. Thing is a miracle. I made 6 gallons of strawberry wine from juice I extracted like that last year and even strawberry you hardly ever get a seed. My wife uses it when she does strawberry jelly and if you hold up a jar to the light and see a seed or two in the whole jar it is rare. Juicer was around $100 but well worth it. It has surgical tubing with a clamp on the end. You can run the juice right into a measuring cup and make jelly with no mess and no seeds.

I think the blackberries I planted are black jewel. I need to make a nicer trellis for them. I will post a picture. Blackberries are very good for you. Higher in antioxidants than even blueberries. A tea can be made form the leaves of the blackberry plant that is very good for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Not a real good picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page