Homemade fertilizer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Homemade fertilizer

What are you guys using to perk up your gardens? I have been trying coffee/tea grounds, eggshells, Epsom salts, and am starting to make some compost. Anyone using anything else 'homemade' to fertilize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 PM

Re: Homemade fertilizer

Put compost in a 5 gal bucket or larger container. Add water and mix. Let it sit a day or so and get compost tea.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Take off the solids on top of your septic tank and till in.....

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

How long do you guys let your compost compost? My wife and I decided to start composting in early May. I'm thinking maybe we need to let it go a little bit longer for full efficacy?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM

I haul about 10 loads of leaf compost from my township every year. I spread about 4-5 loads on my lawn (in March), and the rest in a pile down by the garden.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Take off the solids on top of your septic tank and till in.....
Are you serious, or jest funnin ? I just about puke every time I take the lid off. But, I wouldn't put that CRAP on during growing season. Chi-Chi's went out of business because of doo-doo on their Peppers from Mexico when a bunch of Patron's got sick. AND I LIKED CHI-CHI'S

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage

A lot of people use manure on strawberries...but I prefer sugar on mine..

wmu 3A
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacimsaalk
How long do you guys let your compost compost? My wife and I decided to start composting in early May. I'm thinking maybe we need to let it go a little bit longer for full efficacy?
It depends what your composting and how you do it. If you hot compost it really speeds things up, plus adding smaller things to the mix break down quicker. For example I just added some homemade compost that took a month. I took the lawnmower over leaves that were on a pile from last fall, this was to shred them up to quicken the compost process. Then I mixed with rabbit manure at a rate of 1.5 parts manure to 1 part shedded leaves. All mixed and piled in a boxwire circle, on top of a pallet for air flow underneath.

The pile heated to over 140 in 3 days. It stayed above for 2 weeks, this process kills weed seeds and multiplies microbes and beneficial bacteria. But its not that easy you have to maintain moisture, not too much or let get to dry. Turn it regularly to keep aerated. The pile will drop down to ambient air temp when it is done composting.

It is very addicting for me, fun stuff. I'm going to get another pile going this weekend. It really is crumbly and black and looks great around the green vegetation. I also brewed some worm tea the other week and watered everything with that. Lets just say the veggies are doing well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

What I'm working on is a combo of grass, leaves, and kitchen scraps (of the veggie sort) in a couple of garbage cans on blocks. We drilled a ton of holes for aeration and to allow water in, and I mix and water (as needed) about weekly. I think we may need to move them into the sun a little more as they're currently partially under a couple spruce trees.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

compost takes a while i built a composting barrel and it sits empty because i found it easier to just make a large pile in the back part of the property. i use alot of grass clippings but the more browns like paper and dried leaves make it better. using coffee grounds might not help as much because they are high in acid like pine needles. i mix in compost and fresh cow manure even year but my brother has a farm so i get tht easy enough dont use pet manure or any kid that is a rich meat diet. that is why goat cow horse and rabbit is the best for your garden. a tip for flowers and some plants like tomatoes and pepper is mix a 1/4 gal of your urine into 5gal of water and use that i know it sounds crazy but i did a test couple years back and the tomatoes i used it on did alot better then the ones without same for the flowers almost a 2' height difference in the sun flowers. i never test my soil and i only had one bad year of tomatoes (last year) and it seemed everyone had it rough last year not to mention i had them in the low part of the garden and they were flooded alot in the spring.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page