Growing potato question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Growing potato question

My potato plants are 27" tall with blossoms, I probably planted them too close making 3 rows, when I should have planted 2. I have hilled them several times before they got this tall, just wondering if i should keep hilling them.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:06 PM
The Man

Re: Growing potato question

I hill mine a couple times after planting with grass clippings to prevent any potatoes that stick out of the ground from turning green.Don't eat the green ones.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Wow... You're way ahead of us in the growing season. I plant my rows on 42 inch centers, that makes it easy to get the roto tiller between the rows. I don't think you can over hill potatoes. Potatoes grow sideways, not down.The more you can hoe, the better. Potatoes need 1 inch of water a week to maximize yield, and it helps to side dress with fertilizer when you hill them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 PM

You can see my Red Norlands in the 3rd pic. I posted on the 2015 garden thread. I plant 4 potatoes across a 4' bed and get 10 of those rows in a 16' bed for a total of 40 plants. I hill a couple times and then dump buckets of leaf compost all around the hills. I get well over a bushel out of a bed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thank fellows.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i havent harvested potatoes since i was a kid and we used to on the farm plant fields of them and always had good luck but my dad in his garden seems to have poor luck with them always coming out small and thin so came up with ideas to improve his crop and if you look online there is potato towers ppl make claiming to get hundreds of pounds from a plant but i have seen enough videos of ppl trying and failing with these towers and the reason is simple. if the potato is growing you hill it to cover the main stem of the plant which will grow potatoes the stem will continue to grow up so in theory if you keep hilling it they will keep producing. But then you have the problem that ppl cant seem to figure out its to much pressure on the plant it cant grow the potatoes freely. so the idea we came up with was to use a wire bin made of old rabbit coop wire in a circle around the plant and as it grew add dirt and straw to 'hill' the plant this will allow the plant to keep growing upward and the straw will act as a buffer to keep the soil loose for the plant to produce potatoes.then the cage can be untied and the hill can easily be torn apart to find your harvest. we have yet to test the wire cage do to the fact this year he didnt plant any potatoes, but if you look on youtube you will find lots of the potato tower videos and see that they get a few small potatoes from one tower not the hundreds for the reasons i explained so in short yea i would keep hilling them just be sure to add straw or dried grass clippings to prevent the dirt from compacting to much.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Regular Visitor

I experimented with a box last year.
I used 2 by 3's for uprights and some scrap 1 by sixes for the sides. The front started 2 boards high and as the plant grew I just added another board and more dirt and kept about 8" of growth visible. TO do this you need to use a late season potato. From one small seed potato I ended up harvesting 14 pounds.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM
The Man

I have never hilled potatoes.............We plant them under class II Geo fabric that is used in the construction industry......we just cut an X out where they are to be planted.........then I have a 2x2 square of wood about 4 feet long with a point cut on it..........I use this to pilot a hole, then stick a potato 1/4 down in it, I don't even cover them.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 PM

My daughter in law lives in Virginia and they use used tires for their potatoes. Once the plants get high enough they just add more compost and another tire. Last year she had some that were 6 tires high. At the end of growing season they just remove the tires and get the taters.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 PM

In the interest of science, I tried the tire idea last year. Didn't work too well. But the spuds I did get were the most blemish free taters I've ever seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page