Any Beekeepers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Any Beekeepers?

Any of you guys keep bees? I was curious to see what others had for winter die outs. This was my worst year in the last twenty years, lost 5 out of 7 hives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 AM

Re: Any Beekeepers?

Nope, not a bee keeper and I am sorry to hear about the winter kill. How are you and your bees doing with the fungus that has been attacking honey bees? Bees are such an important part of our farming activities that I wonder where this fungus / blight will end.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I really haven't struggled much with the Colony Collapse Disorder. The Verro mite still seems to be the biggest problem you have to deal with. The past winter was especially brutal. Bees cluster in the winter and generate heat by vibrating their wings. By early February, they need to ratchet the temperature up to 93 degrees, as their queen is laying eggs and the brood requires more heat. All this activity uses up more honey, and bees must be able to break away from their cluster to reach honey stored in outer frames. The extreme cold made this tough for bees to move about in the hive. Bees normally exit the hive on nice winter days, to take a dump, get water , and haul out their dead bees. My bees never got out once in February . By the first of March, they normally can fly and begin to find pollen and a little nectar. That wasn't happening this year either. Luckily I had ordered some 3 pound packages of bees to replace my losses. Packages of bees aren't cheap, about 100 dollars each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 05:11 PM

Roger that and thanks for the reply. Good luck with your bees.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 AM

Bought my first package last yr. They did make it through the winter, but i know a lot of other first timers that lost their hives. Got my package from Mann Lake inc. They were bees from Minnesota and the queen was from Northern California. Most of the people who lost their bees had bought packages from Georgia. I did wrap my hive with 3.5" of insulation in mid-January when it got real cold.
Good luck.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:39 AM
Part of the Community

Sorry to hear about your lose. I lost 1 out of 3 and didn't lose them until the 3rd week of March. When I did the tear down the 29th it was evident that the sub zero temps of Feb. had taken their toll. Surviving cluster was to small and couldn't/didn't move to feed. Hive still had 30-40 lbs of honey in it. A friend lost 4 of 5.
Mike

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 PM

I have two hives haven't opened them up yet going to this after noon but I have seen bees going in and out of them

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lost mine,only had one hive ,but still disappointing.We had a warm day in Jan.and there was lot's of bee activity,but when I checked the first week of March,nothing ,small clusters of dead bees,but plenty of honey so they didn't die of starvation.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Do any of you guys belong to beekeeping clubs? I am new to bees and just started 2 hives this week. Unfortunately, the man who was going to mentor me, passed away in December. Right now I am doing a lot of reading and kind of winging it. I am sure I will have a lot of questions so, if anyone can recommend a club, I would appreciate it. I am in the Harrisburg/York area.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Administrator

A member by the name of Stonewall is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to bees. Shoot him a pm.

He hangs out in the outdoor photo forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page