SQUIRRELS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

SQUIRRELS

Anyone know a good yet simple squirrel recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Re: SQUIRRELS

I ate fried squirrel for years as a kid. However my ex sister-in-law made squirrel croquettes that were excellent. I took them to work once and about 12 people ate them and said they were excellent then ask for the ingredients. When I told them squirrel no one believed me and after that no one bothered me at lunch and I was able to eat and enjoy them all by myself.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM

I guess a squirrel is a "wild edible". But I think there also is a recipe forum.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Cook in oven with butter and onions in a pan cook low and slow meat will fall of the bones
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 AM

Par boil several squirrel and then debone the meat. Fry peppers and onions in pan. Put squirrel in crock pot with red wine. Then add the peppers, onions and KC BBQ sauce. (wal mart). I used to take this to our health club with fresh hard rolls. Everyone loved it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt
I ate fried squirrel for years as a kid. However my ex sister-in-law made squirrel croquettes that were excellent. I took them to work once and about 12 people ate them and said they were excellent then ask for the ingredients. When I told them squirrel no one believed me and after that no one bothered me at lunch and I was able to eat and enjoy them all by myself.
ROFL! good one. so true.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGSPHUNTING
Cook in oven with butter and onions in a pan cook low and slow meat will fall of the bones
That's what I do except I put parsley flakes over the meat.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Copy and pasted this from another site. My wife coats them and fries them and simmers them slow in water but the coating pretty much falls off. Sure do taste good though ' "The other chicken wings". I am betting this recipe is real good but haven't tried it. Sure sounds like the ticket to keep the coating on. I think the steaming is what makes them real tender. When I do it I am not going to brine them in the vinegar. I always cut them up and put them in satlt water in the fridge a few days then clean them up good and freeze them and save up for a good batch. The cooking method is what I think will really work good.

Here it is:

"Well the season is upon us now , and folks are always trying to make these squirrels more tender and tasty. We cook them a lot of ways and I like them even if I got to Knaw em off the bone!! However I have to cook em for folks that require tender. The following method really works well and I have been able to convert many non squirrel eaters to squirrel "CONSUMERS"!!!!

Tender & Tasty Squirrel

Items needed - Lrg crock pot
plate that will fit inside crock pot or a rack
4-6 sqrls cut up legs and back

Roll sqrl pieces in egg, coat with flour seasoned your favorite way, brown in oil BUT don't cook all the way, just brown in medium hot oil, set pieces on paper towel to drain off.

Now add about 1/2-3/4 inches of water to crock pot, place plate inside( don't want water going into plate , if necessary put coffee cup in first then plate on top)Idea is to steam NOT BOIL. Place squirrel pieces in plate stacking if necessary . Put top on and turn to high . Cook 2 hrs , when done the crust on sqrls will be like KFC original recipe and meat will almost fall off bone(may on some).

Squirrel Brine
A brine is a solution of salt and spices which will help meat stay moist during cooking and will carry flavors into the meat along with helping to tenderize meat. I have done this many times and it makes squirrel eaters out of Everyone!!!

To make Brine ( this is for 2-3 lbs of leg and back)
2 cups water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar
1/4tsp pepper
1 medium onion thinly sliced
3-4 crushed garlic cloves or 2 tsp garlic powder.
1 tbls fresh thyme or Italian seasoning.

2-3 sliced jalapeno (optional)

Put all in pot, bring to simmer for 5 mins, let cool completely to room temperature.

Once cool, put squirrel pieces in gallon zip lock, Pour brine over squirrel zip bag pushing all air out.Place bag in a bowl inside the fridge for 24-48 hrs turning and mixing when you think about it.
when ready to cook take out, rinse off and dry. Then cook in the above method.

It make look difficult but only takes a few minutes other than soak and cook time. Hope you try it its good !!!"

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page