Free Paw Paw Seed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Free Paw Paw Seed

f anyone would like some seeds to start a few paw paw trees, the paw paw research program at Kentucky State U. will send you 10 free seeds. They are currently harvesting and processing paw paw from their orchards for the pulp. They save seeds to send out. Send an email to [email protected] to ask for seeds. Lots of info on their website, www.pawpaw.kysu.edu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 AM

Re: Free Paw Paw Seed

Will these trees be hardy in northeastern Pennsylvania? I don't think I have ever seen any growing here. What feeds on these trees? And can humans eat the fruit?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

my brother has paw paws growing in Luzerne county. they do well and taste really good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:01 AM

Thanks I think I will try to get some of these. I have 10 acres and try to plant many different trees to feed wildlife
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Should be good for you. Hardy to zone 5 and hardy to -15F. I saw some paw paw trees bearing fruit last week in a nutgrove on Cornell's campus in Ithaca NY.

Fruit is edible when ripe but astringent/puckery prior to ripening. The fruit does not keep well once ripe so it has never caught on commercially. At KSU, they separate the pulp from the skins and seeds and freeze the pulp until used.

Most any animal would like the fruit. Deer do not typically browse the tree so they do not require protection.

Paw Paw trees are shade tolerant and usually an understory tree near moister areas. While mature trees will do well in full sun, it can damage and kill young trees. They'll need some artificial shade for the first 2-3 years if planted in a sunny location. Trees do not require pruning or care. Paw Paws are a smaller tree, 20-40ft tall. Due to long tap root and brittle roots, they can difficult to transplant but grafted trees are available as bare root or potted plants.

More information at KSU and other places on the web like here http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_astr.pdf
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:27 AM

I went to this web site and posted a message yesterday. So far I have not heard back from anyone.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It took a week or so to get a response when I e-mailed my request.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 AM

Thanks I did get a message this afternoon and they are processing requests for the seeds now. I don't know if I plant them this fall or wait for spring. Maybe even try starting seeds now.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The seeds will need cold stratification before they will germinate. 70 to 100 days in the fridge with some damp sphagnum moss or paper towel to keep them from drying out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 PM

What Chickenlittle said- and also keep in mind germination rates are not stellar. Maybe 1 out of 5 or less, depending on luck. I'd get 20-40 seeds to start if you want half a dozen or more to grow- just in case. It's always better to toss ones you don't want than to wait 2-3 months for the cold strat to come up empty handed!

First time I did it, half of the packets w/damp moss were filled w/mold that destroyed the seeds...

Paw Paw and Persimmon trees are great for wildlife. If I had 10 acres to play around with, I'd do a bit of both. You can also get seeds for persimmon- I've used Sheffield Seed as a supplier in the past.

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page