New Arrival

The sheepheads

I figured out how to get the image up. Here they are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: The sheepheads

Doug,nice picture of you and the boy.The sheepheads look great also.LOL.Way To Go!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice find there doug, the problem I have with sheepheads is cleaning them. I have found quite a few of them in the past few years, but, they are always gritty when I eat them. I can't seem to get all the dirt out of them. How do you guys prepare yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hi, I soak them in the washtub in cold salt water overnight. The salt brings out any bugs that are hiding in it. The next day when I take them out, I have a short hose on the laundry tub and I spray them off real good and set them on a towel to dry for a few hours. I break them up on the cutting board into the size of pieces I want to eat and then you can see any dirt that is left on them and wipe it with a paper towel or if it's too bad, you can scrape them with a knife blade. Bring a pot of water to a boil, drop them in for 3 minutes and immediately place in ice water for 3 minutes to cool. Spread them out, let them dry again and then you can cook them how you want or freeze them. I had one that was pretty wet, so I spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes and it seemed to dry them pretty good without cooking them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Sorry about the picture being so big. It isn't that size on the site it's linked to. Can anyone tell me how to shrink it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Excellent find - no luck around here yet, though I am keeping my eyes peeled!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

We were up in Clarion County for a few days over the weekend and found a lot more. Only 6 were still good but I know where they will be next year and I'll be there on time to get them next year! A friend of ours stopped last week and showed us what the Papinky's look like but he only had a small group of them, he said he waited too long to go looking for them but while we were out looking for the sheep heads I found him about 6 lbs. He was so excited when I called to tell him but he had to wait 2 days for me to bring them home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page