Veggie garden help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 11,659
Back To Top
Veggie garden help

I planted 4 Big Boy plants (2 too many)and all of the tomatoes rot before they ripen. They develop black spots while still green and as the fruit ripens the spots grow wide and deep and ruins the fruit. I am at a loss for why this is happening. Can anyone offer a fix?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
jimsdad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Townsend, DE
Posts: 52,307
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

There is a section on here for gardening, lots of guys on it....
RonM is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
BCozhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Posts: 25,129
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Wegman's

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
BCozhunter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
atr
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin co
Posts: 14,317
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Are they getting plenty of sun?
atr is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Moderator
 
Janie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greene Co. PA
Posts: 4,149
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Probably calcium deficiency if they're rotting.

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
Janie is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: pa 2c
Posts: 374
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

nearest lowes store,look for blossom end rot spray,works great
larry da deer is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: sharon pa
Posts: 2,913
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Put a couple tablespoons of bone meal in the hole before putting the tomato plant in.
gary3414 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 3,673
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry da deer
nearest lowes store,look for blossom end rot spray,works great
This one. Blossom end rot.

80% of Americans believe in miracles. The other 20% have been audited.
DadHuntsNow is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 AM
The Man
 
springfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 5,787
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadHuntsNow
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry da deer
nearest lowes store,look for blossom end rot spray,works great
This one. Blossom end rot.
springfreak is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 11,659
Back To Top
Re: Veggie garden help

Thanks to everyone for the very good advise. I should have remembered to mention that the ground I planed in was very recently occupied by mature Hemlock trees and packed with years of needles from these trees. I did add a large amount of lime to the ground before planting but I really did not pay appropriate attention to the proper soil amendments. Thanks again.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
jimsdad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome