Berries? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Berries?

Ive just got done picking about 4 quarts of black raspberries in thew past week at my faimly farms, and maybe a quart from my hunting location im a little late and probly lost a quart becuase i just found these but they are still producing so ill keep picking til they are done. Now for my question i have already used my first quart with a mixture of other berries and made jelly but what of the other berries i find? i have a hard time finding a site that says eat these not these but even the guide with pictures i found said for elderberry to just avoid the green ones does tht make the ripe black ones okay to eat? becuase im pretty sure i have been getting their berry jucie on my hunting clothes for years never knowning tht were edible.
So what of muulberry
thimbleberry or wineberry
elderberry
blackberry
and the red and black raspberries?
which are good to eat or use in recipes i have 2x as many wineberry bushes as black raspberry and have started picking some and freezing becuase im not sure as to how to use them since they are so tart. Like i said i started making jellys and jams and also if i pick enough im going to try my hand at wine making so any info, recipes, help locating would be greatly appriecated also any clue as to where i could find wild blue berries? live outside of harrisburg. Thanks

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Berries?

boil the tart ones down, add sugar and a couple halved hot peppers, then just enough pectin to make a syrupy sauce. Makes a pretty good dipping sauce for chicken, and a very interesting ice cream sauce if you're looking for something different.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Re: Berries?

wineberries are tart, but not too tart when ripe. Many pick them still reddish orange instead of red. But they all make good jelly, jam, etc. I have made pies with wineberries and I like the slightly tart flavor instead of the sickening sweet of some pies. Run them through a colander and strain the juice and add a little sugar and "clear jell" to make a really good syrup for ice cream and pancakes. (clear jell , (Not "sure jell") is a modified corn starch that stays clear when cooked with fruit instead of turning the product cloudy like when using straight corn starch It is used commercially in cherry pie filling etc to get that clear sweet substance between the cherries)

I do the same with blackberries because they seem tart as well.

Last I picked wild blue berries was on top the mountain along 441 as it goes up over the mountain and then goes down to the old railroad grade on SGL 211. But they did not get ripe till August. I stopped at the overlook and then walked east along the summit. That was 30 years ago. probably along the top of Peter's mtn as well.

I picked a few gallons of "tame" blueberries over the weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page