American Chestnut ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

American Chestnut !

One of my favorite video's. What a loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgbedXnbfw

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Re: American Chestnut !

God that is a depressing video. At 37 I am far too young to have ever seen a living mature Chestnut and have never acknowledged a living sprout although I will now that I watched that video. Either way I hope that someday these genetically altered plants can reclaim their territory. It's also scary to think about this happening to the Oak as well which is a real possibilty. Eventually we'll have one world ecosystem. That will not be a good day.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 PM
The Man

Sad story. What a wonderful tree. I did run into 2 producing American's on a gameland in Schuylkill County this spring turkey season. Hulls all over. Don't run into them too frequently.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

This tree has haunted me since I was a young boy. I was reading a book on Whitetail Deer, by Leonard Lee Rue, and in it he mentioned that we will never know the full impact of the loss of the American Chestnut on the deer population. I thought to myself what the heck is he talking about. That was a very long time ago, and today I can't go into one of Pa. woodlots and not know that something is missing. The forest that we spend so much time in just does not look like it should, something is very wrong.

The good news is we are very close to starting to right this wrong. But it will take an army...a CHESTNUT PLANTING ARMY!

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 AM

Man that is sad but very informative, I had no idea about the American chestnut. It's weird to think that the woods we walk today are not what they once were. Maybe someday they will be again but that's hard to say.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Great informative video. I was aware of the history but that was a good video to share with others.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is now a tree that is being planted that they believe is blight resistant enough to start the comeback.

I was recently part of a planting at the Milford Experimental Forest. We planted over 1,000 trees!

I have to tell you, it was a special feeling holding those seeds in my hands. I've waited over 35 years for these blight resistant trees!

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM

FLDBRED - I'll be the first in line to buy as many seeds as I can and plant them everywhere I can walk my feet to. I'll trespass if I need to hahahaha. I'm just into it!! I'm only 37 and have no recollection of the forrest of old. I'll also be dead before there is a tree worth looking at in Pa most likely and it will be 100's of years if not 1000's until the 400 million trees could be replaced. I'll never see it. But I would like to die someday know that I did something to help. I am dying to get one to plant in my yard.

I just hope that the 84% American Chestnut grows at GRAND as the old one did and the Asian traits stay to the blight resistance only. Guess we're years and years away from know that though. Still a ton of time.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Typo...I'm sorry....3-4 BILLION tree to recover. Ya, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I wont live to see that happen. I'm going to go out on a limb and say man kind wont see that happen lol. Some other creature might but we are 1000's of years from that tree being completely restored. 3-4 Billion trees lost in 50 years....how is that ever possible??????? Mind boggling.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
FLDBRED - I'll be the first in line to buy as many seeds as I can and plant them everywhere I can walk my feet to. I'll trespass if I need to hahahaha. I'm just into it!! I'm only 37 and have no recollection of the forrest of old. I'll also be dead before there is a tree worth looking at in Pa most likely and it will be 100's of years if not 1000's until the 400 million trees could be replaced. I'll never see it. But I would like to die someday know that I did something to help. I am dying to get one to plant in my yard.

I just hope that the 84% American Chestnut grows at GRAND as the old one did and the Asian traits stay to the blight resistance only. Guess we're years and years away from know that though. Still a ton of time.
Trout,

I hear ya buddy! There is seed available right now, but it is terribly expensive. They will be making it more available to members as time goes by. If you volunteer for some of the projects you stand a good chance of receiving some seed.
At 37 you WILL DEFINATELY see trees worth while! The American Chestnut is one of the fastest growing trees. It should start to produce some nuts IN JUST SIX TO SEVEN YEARS,don't confuse it with the oak or other nut trees. A 20 year old tree will be a nice large tree, and you'll only be 57.
There have already been thousands of these trees planted in old strip mine sites. The seed orchards are really starting to produce tons of the blight resistant seed. It will take some time, but light is finally in sight!

Like yourself, I plan on making an all out effort to plant as many as I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page