Pumpkins - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Pumpkins

Been forgetting to ask this...

4 of us had pumpkins planted this year... my 1 buddy who owns the farm I plant on had a fruit stand give us 7 trailer loads of pumpkins last year in november that the guy could not sell....we took most of them and fed them to the chickens and pigs....we came out with 1 trailer load that sort of rotted on the pile we had, so we scooped them up with a bobcat and took them and put them on the sweet corn field... those pumpkin seeds started growing early in the spring and grew all thru the sweet corn all summer long... they ONLY got Male Flowers on them, we saw no female flowers on those in the sweet corn patch!

3 of us went and got different pumpkin seeds from the local stores and I ordered some "Prize Winner" Pumpkin seeds from a supplier my 1 buddy gets from that only someone with a commercial account can get seeds....

Out of ALL the seeds that were started in the green house and then transplanted to the field and also the ones that started from the pumpkins dumped last fall on the sweet corn patch...not 1 of us got a single pumpkin form on our vines...we had flowers, both male and female flowers but the female flowers never produced a pumpkin, they just fell off!

I took my black plastic, ran a long row, put mine in plastic and then made what looked like volcanos around them of horse manure to make bigger pumpkins... my other buddy placed his about 50 yards from mine in the same field and the other buddy put his in a big horse manure pile he has, were he places the horse manure from his barn...

Not a 1 of us got a single pumpkin form on our vines!

I talked to others in the area and they said they had the same problem!

How did others on here do with thier pumpkins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pumpkins

It would seem I had the same problem. This was the first year I tried planting them but had a nice area for them. They grew well and alot of flowers but not a single pumpkin. I figured it had something to do male / female flowers but didn't know.

BRDNSPR
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

Same problem here....planted pumpkins and ended up with NO pumpkins

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM

I planted some this year and got a few small pumpkins. Several pumpkins started to grow and would shrivel up and fall off. I did some checking and found that this occurs due to a lack of water. The plant aborts the pumpkin to conserve water for the vine. When I started to water more, I managed to get a few.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think the area I had mine in got too much water...when we got all that rain I think the soil was unable to get rid of the excess and that the pumpkins sat in it. Going to be planting them in a different spot next year for sure.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM

I planted Dill's Atlantic Giant seeds and Prizewinners I got from Burpee. The giants didn't do so well for me. Biggest was 103 on the scale (new world record is 1725# if you haven't heard). My Prizewinners did great. Had 5 pumpkins over 100 lbs.

You can't just plant them and expect pumpkins (necessarily). Let me just say that I put a heck of a lot of time/energy/money into the pumpkins I got. I can't imagine growing a 1700 pounder!

Here's some interesting reading...

http://www.bigpumpkins.com

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got some pumpkins, but I think they crossed with zuchinni.

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page