starting a garden from grass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

starting a garden from grass

ok guys i got my dream back yard for a huge garden but its currently a yard with established grass. its a little late to start on it now so for this year would you ...1, clear the sod with a dozer bucken and till it up? (there is a decent amount of shale i hear) 2, just lay material down and plant in mulch/compost a round the plants, 3,skim the grass off and add top soil and a border and make a raised bed i would eventually want about a 20 by 40 garden for tomatos, peppers, asparagus, onion, beets, horseradish, melons, zuccs and such.. maybe even a row of corn, potatos heck i need a bigger garden already. let the ideas rip im
trying to get started asap

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM
The Man

Re: starting a garden from grass

It's not too late if you can act quickly.

If I were you, and this year you just wanted to get started and see what happens, I'd start smaller then I planned. Till it in, lay down fabric, punch holes through it to plant and go from there. The fabric will help with weeds.

If you're going to wait and do it right from the start, then you should still try to till it to see what kind of soil you're dealing with (clay, shale, etc), and send in a soil sample to have it tested and tell you what your soil needs.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Definitely not too late to start. I am in a colder climate, much colder than you, and I still don't have my seeds in the ground. Hoping the end of this week is warm enough and dry enough to rotor till the garden and get some planting done.

Rotor till the area with the grass then get a truck load of compost delivered and rotor till it in. Lay down professional landscape fabric and plant. Use evergreen bark mulch not hardwood on the fabric, and water. You are golden for the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

gonna hit it with the shovel and pick tonight and get an idea whats down there...then i can report back and see if that gives a better idea

We Are...PENN STATE
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM

I rented a sod cutter. Went both ways. Made mats about 2' square. Used the mats to repair bad spots in lawn and a bare area where I did some construction.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Google "lasagna garden". It works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM

I had this same situation 9 years back. I just tilled up with I wanted as my garden, bought a load of mushroom manure, a bag of peat moss, a couple bags of lime, as well as lawn clippings and leaf waste from around the yard and mixed it all up good. After that I just planted and everything was fine! To be honest you can probably just lime and till the yard and get stuff to grow just fine.

Each year I toss my leaves and other organic debris in there and then turn it over by shovel in March. The soil gets blacker and blacker each year as organic matter builds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have planted my garden as late as the middle of June and it produced great. Mine right now is all tilled up and I'm just waiting for it to dry out a bit. I will simply run the tiller and plant. I bet some people will be replanting some stuff in my area because of the heavy rain the last two days.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would just till it under and plant. I've had mine in since April 26th, and it doing great, but you can still plant now. The first year that I put one in I just tilled the grass under and planted. I've sweetened it up a bit since then with compost.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

well the neighbors are digging up some ground for foundation of a huge garage and i see a ton of shale over there..maybe a raised bed is the right option here in west deer township..i did a berry bush transplant today and actually saw decent ground to 1 ft at least..i might just get their dozer push up what i can and add some good dirt to it and call it a start..or ask for some extra topsoil and add some compost to it even better. thanks for your suggestions

We Are...PENN STATE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page