End of the Garden - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Sage

End of the Garden

Just picked about a dozen beautiful green and yellow bell peppers and pulled all plants but one that still has two getting yellow. Last vegies of the summer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: End of the Garded

i got a couple of green bell peppers left to pick and then i'm done. been a lousy summer for my garden.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The Man

sad ain't it, pulled all mine last week except for carrots, kale, brussell sprouts and butternut squash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM

pulled all but 6 pepper plants. My tomatos are still producing but will be pulled in the next few days. Beans were pulled a while ago. I have the second planting of beets to pull. Second round of cabbage is still going strong
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 AM

Why are you guys pulling your peppers?

Mine are still in and my buddy's are still in....when the frost hits mine, they will be done for the year...

but, when the weather man calls for frost, I'll be helping my Buddy cover his over with plastic and setting the small heaters in the feild so he can get some extra growing out of his...

The small heaters are what looks like cannon balls with a wick sticking out of them...we lay the plastic over the peppers and then at certain points set 1 of the heaters...he normaly has peppers till the beginning of november if all works out right with covering them...he got the idea from seeing the amish start different veggies early in lancaster county some years ago, seems they have tents they cover thier veggie plants with early in the spring and then set out the small wick heaters...

Might not be the route for everyone...but there still is enough time for the pepper plants to produce peppers in the southern part of the state, if we do not get an early frost!

We still have our late cabbage, broccoli and mix of turnips, beets, and lettuce in that is growing like mad.....

My Buddy's late plant of green beans and lima beans are still getting beans set on them...

We just let mother nature hit certain things and then are done with them....the peppers are a different story...he makes to much off them each year to let them get nailed by frost and end the growing season...thus, why we lay the pastic over them and try to get extra growing time...might be a little extra work, but it has been working for him for the past 5 years!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM

I already have more peppers canned/frozen that I know what to do with and archery season is upon us so all of my free time goes into hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page