Gettysburg Trip - Day 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Gettysburg Trip - Day 4

Day 4
As Day 4 of the battle was as well, our fourth and final day lacked the fury of the Day’s 2 and 3 on the battlefield, feeling like we won this “battle” but now have so many others yet to see…we all go got up early this time for one last morning visit before breaking camp and heading back home. Since it is harder to get 5 going in the morning we did not make the battlefield until 7:45AM on Sunday, but the crowds were still very low then.
We stopped at the PA monument first for all too climb up and my daughter is enjoying time there it in the early morning sun.

Then per Joe’s request it was back to Devil’s Den so he could try out his new officer’s field telescope…and I can attest this “toy” WORKS great by the way !! Joe said he is going to take it hunting this year, which will be great!... but I wonder how he will feel when I spray paint it camo???

Mom and Daughter enjoying a talk (about the war actually) while I chase Joey and Johnny all over the rocks..

Caught a glimpse of a little light shining down from above on a hill known for its death toll and with parts named after the Devil…thought that was kind of monumental.

Looking back at Devil’s Den Rocks from across the Slaughter Pen where many dead soldiers were dragged to.

On our way back thru the battlefield and thinking about a late breakfast , as the crowds started to roll in, we stopped off the beaten path a little and Joe got into full his full battlegear for some action before we left..looks pretty good doesn’t he? Minus the shorts and crocs, but hey they are at least blue and gray and likely more comfortable than wool in July.

Then onto the observation tower near Eisenhower’s Gettysburg Farm before going back to the hotel for one last dip in the pool (to try to tire out Joey) before heading home . BTW, it did not work, but mom fell asleep by Harrisburg.

And that ended our battlefield action.
A few additional comments from the experience without starting another war here:
I learned more about the Civil War overall on this 4 day trip then I have learned anywhere else in my 43 years prior. More about the reasons for it, beyond just the abolishment of slavery which rightfully is the huge takeaway of the War, however it was not the only reason for war. I learned more of why it even started to begin with, more about why it was so bloody and fought with such passion that only a desire for independence from a government that did not understand its citizens can have. It was about differences in lifestyles, key industry, wealth distribution , tariffs and regional way of life . It was about irreconcilable differences in culture , which is always a thing that is hard to conform to one set of rules. It seemed there was no other option at the time. A shirt I saw on a store rack, perhaps sums the value of this trip best when describing ignorance to the details of this war many have when it said,”if one of these flags offends you….you got a lot to learn” and as of this week I believe it to be true as I certainly learned ALOT about how little I know and how I was ignorant to anything but the highlights and headlines of it. I see a lot of similarities now in this country but to a much lesser degree, in how split we are on today’s issues and our thoughts on just how much of our lives and country the government should control , and I see the heat and passion easily caused by it here and elsewhere. This time there is no Mason Dixon line dividing us, it is not regional, it runs down every Main St in this country. THANKFULLY we know better than to let it go this route again because of what happened 150 years ago.
Learn all about it , it is worth it. I am just starting my educational journey now, as is my family. We have deep sympathy for those enslaved, suffering and abused, but also now equally feel for those families who sons, brothers, and fathers laid in literal piles across so much of the most beautiful countryside because of the causes and actions of governmental leaders. Weather they had a real reason to fight for it all back home or not, they fought and they died. To me, death in a cause is above noble, still it results in death and ultimately is the worst form of life. To the best of my knowledge my family tree was still growing in Europe and was not here at all for the War, arriving closer to the turn of the century. Making what the guide said early on so true , That those whose families were not yet in the country during the war are so fortunate not only to miss the fighting , but because their next generations could grow up here, AFTER this War. For many who died, their families stopped having generations here.
Personal and Powerful thoughts I had watching a sunrise with my son.
To all those going to the 148th celebration and re-enactments this weekend, the weekend of the war…I wish you the best time. To all those that have never been to this battleground in our own state, I say GO NOW!!!
Thanks for going along on the trip, hope you enjoyed it.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Re: Gettysburg Trip - Day 4

Great pics and post RB. Thanks for taking the time.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 AM

great story and excellent pics Looks like you all had a great time.

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 AM
The Man

Another fine report John! I have pics from those same rocks from a trip there about three years ago. It is hallowed ground. Joe's got some fine posture with the flintlock - maybe we'll see him at one of the West-PA flintlock hunts one of these days.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

RB did you get a chance to take the night time ghost tour of the town? They do it by latern light and while I dont believe in ghost it was a neat thing to do. I was also on a tour bus during one of the days they were filming the movie Gettysburg and it was a cool thing to watch. I love Gettysburg. If you ever get out my way dont forget to go to Valley Forge Park.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 AM
The Man

Great job on the pics RB

I have family whose names are engraved in the Pa monument. My wife had family who fought with the units from North Carolina.

To walk the ground they walked and remember what they endured makes a person not only proud but also sad to think of those who never returned.

It is Hallowed ground.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I too had a family member at Gettysburg in the 149th, Co. I. He fought in the first day's battle near the McPhearson farm and the railroad cut. On June 18, 1864 he was killed at Petersburg, Va.

Bill
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

We did not get to the Ghost tours this trip, on the schedule for our next one for sure...they were starting when we were leaving the battlegrounds both nights and they had quite the following.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
We did not get to the Ghost tours this trip, on the schedule for our next one for sure...they were starting when we were leaving the battlegrounds both nights and they had quite the following.
Great report and photos RB.
I can tell from you response about the ghost tours, whether you know it or not, Your Hooked.
The T-shirt you mention must be a new one, never saw or heard of it before, need to get me one on my next visit. Probably came about after the out cry we had over the display of the confederate flay a few months back. It does inform one of how little the average person knows about the cause of the war. That can be said about a lot of things though. Until you go beyond what you are taught in school or hear you will never know the whole story.
One nice thing about being retired, you have the time to read about a subject in depth. Whether it the civil war, did Jesus ever really exist, doing what the Bible said he did, or why GW Bush did what he did while he was President. It sheds new light on all.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureurs De Bois
The T-shirt you mention must be a new one, never saw or heard of it before, need to get me one on my next visit. Probably came about after the out cry we had over the display of the confederate flay a few months back.
I first started seeing shirts like that a few years back, after that clown with his "art" display desecrating the Stainless Banner showed up on the college campus for a few days.

RB, I'm glad that you and your family were able to take so much away from just a weekend here. It really is a magical place, and there's just so much history and so many stories that it's often hard to process it all.

Sometimes I wish that I didn't live so close... I was born in Gettysburg Hospital and have lived here all of my life, and I tend to take it for granted sometimes.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page